Downloadable site plans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK - I give up.

For the less than the price of fish & chips for two in my neck of the woods I can no longer be rsed to try and find free 1:1250 and 1:200/1:500 maps to use for a planning application, so I'll buy them.

Can anybody recommend a good site, or alternatively warn me away from any?

Sponsored Links
The cheapest of the 4 that planning portal recommend?

Try not to see handing a planning officer a map you've paid a few quid for, from one of their preferred suppliers, as a cost if it means your application proceeds more quickly and with fewer misunderstandings. The given tools on planning portal allow you to draw boundaries and polygons representing buildings, and at about 6 quid ? Drop in the ocean

Indeed - it's a trivial sum. I looked for freebies, couldn't find anything, so I'll buy, it's not an issue.

Sponsored Links
I always get one of the councils GIS maps, take a screen grab then use it to trace a new one in my CAD software.

I never pay but it might take an hour or so to do - and my time is cheap......

If youre selling your CAD skills at £6/hr, I'm buying ;)

I always get one of the councils GIS maps, take a screen grab then use it to trace a new one in my CAD software.

I do that for smaller maps, but it takes me 5 minutes. What you doing that takes an hour?

I just use a google screen print. Quick trace over, re-scale, job done. 5 minutes max. I wouldn't bother for a large map or anything where the map was important and needed to be accurate, but for average planning apps it takes me less time than it does to download one. If you give it a go I find it easier to trace over in red or magenta.

I do that for smaller maps, but it takes me 5 minutes. What you doing that takes an hour?

It usually takes me ages to find the online maps. The local authorities seem to update them and change the locations all the time so I often find old links don't work. Each council has a different format but once found, screen grab, trace over them and they're done.

I'm sure I'll get faster with time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back