Draft removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mother lives in a 1952 house which originally had open fires so there was a need for air for combustion.

She is wheel chair bound so upstairs is mainly unused. It also means no doors with threshold as can't get wheel chair over them.

I look at the central heating now fitted which has 4 radiators without thermostatic radiator valves. The airing cupboard (now turned off unused) the hall, the wet room and the kitchen. All others have TRV fitted.

The problem is the stair well acts as a chimney with radiators turned off upstairs the hot air raises up the stairwell causing a howling draft under the front door. This also means the electric thermostat in the hall way does not turn off the central heating as it's cooled by the draft.

So looking at a few changes.
1 - Curtains on the stairs.
2 - Fit TRV on hall way radiator.
3 - Renew inner door and do some draft proofing of outer door and letter box.
4 - Move the electric thermostat.

The latter is the problem. Likely kitchen is best place really only kitchen and wet room where no TRV fitted. Would like to do away with electric thermostat but the last two radiators are towel rails and used to dry things on.

The other problem is the door bell. My mother is slow answering the door and some intercom system is really needed and want to finalize this before work started on the front door.

Looked something like a cordless phone which seems to fit the bill so she can answer the door without needing to get to it. She can tell the God salespersons to go away without needing to get to the door. They have replaced double glazing salesmen in our area. At least the Muslims don't try pushing their religion at our door steps.

I will take some weeks but wants to be complete by next winter.

So ideas please. Specially for where to put electric thermostat. Easy to move wireless. Had wondered if some pockets so it can be moved room to room.

Sponsored Links
Can you do (or have you done) anything about the open fires? Assuming they are not being used could you block them in with just air vents to circulate air through the stack? Those 9"x9" holes in the fabric of the building cause terrible draughts as well!

Basics like draughtproofing and adding curtains etc can go a long way to increase comfort levels. Also what's the state of insulation generally in the property?

Sponsored Links
She can tell the God salespersons to go away without needing to get to the door. They have replaced double glazing salesmen in our area. At least the Muslims don't try pushing their religion at our door steps.

You can get stickers to put on your door saying "no sales calls" etc which, I believe, makes it illegal for Salespersons to annoy you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back