Drain Identification/Problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, so firstly if I wanted to know more about my drainage system what would I search for? Here's some pictures (at the top you can press for more images)
http://imgur.com/Q2j6fYK,pmfZBSB,ZWozDaG,zZVOFMR,K5TzSo2
The kitchen sink/washing machine and also gutter runs to it.

The reason I'm curious about it is because the square thing in the bottom I assumed was where the water left from, similar to a toilet when more water got in it flushed the rest away. However I noticed the other day the bit above it has an empty lip and when more water goes in it just flows over the sides, I'm worried in case the drains have moved and now all the water is running into the soil/foundations beneath my house!

Hope someone can shed some light :)

Sponsored Links
Its blocked. Water level should be a lot lower than in the pic, so when something is discharging the level rises and the water is indeed, going into the surrounding soil. Assuming you've checked any manholes and they're clear, WC is flushing correctly then blockage is probably in the gulley pot.

Either bale as much out as you can, and then with a decent pair of rubber gloves, scoop out any detritus in the bottom, or better still, get yourself a wet vac from Wickes (£40), and suck the water and muck out.

Some good info here on drainage. http://www.pavingexpert.com/drainage.htm

Its blocked. Water level should be a lot lower than in the pic, so when something is discharging the level rises and the water is indeed, going into the surrounding soil. Assuming you've checked any manholes and they're clear, WC is flushing correctly then blockage is probably in the gulley pot.

Either bale as much out as you can, and then with a decent pair of rubber gloves, scoop out any detritus in the bottom, or better still, get yourself a wet vac from Wickes (£40), and suck the water and muck out.

Some good info here on drainage. http://www.pavingexpert.com/drainage.htm[/QUOTE] there's one manhole but its further into my garden. But the toilet and bathroom all drain fine. Here's more pictures http://imgur.com/a/3AvlC

I think I understood some of what you said and will look into it, sounds like its gonna be a messy, dirty, smelly job. Once its done though do I need to get the square thing repaired so its not possible to drain into the soil? I'm quite worried as this may have been going on for years! I've never noticed or looked :(

Sponsored Links
Don't panic, it's more than likely caused by a build up of kitchen waste in the pot at the bottom of the gulley.
It's a horrible smelly job, but get a pair of shoulder-length gloves and dig out whatever is in the base of the gulley (it's just a big u-bend).
You should find that the water flows freely once the debris at the bottom is removed. No need for any other remedial work, other than trying to limit food being put down the drain in the future.

Don't panic, it's more than likely caused by a build up of kitchen waste in the pot at the bottom of the gulley.
It's a horrible smelly job, but get a pair of shoulder-length gloves and dig out whatever is in the base of the gulley (it's just a big u-bend).
You should find that the water flows freely once the debris at the bottom is removed. No need for any other remedial work, other than trying to limit food being put down the drain in the future.
I've got a feeling its been like this since the previous owners. Got a pair of gloves on order should come Thursday and I'll get stuck in (lucky me!) Thanks a lot for the reply, definitely put my mind at ease.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
As above: its blocked and the debris in the trap can be easily hand removed - there's no sewage waste involved. Wear a cheap glove and scoop it out.

If the gulley is still blocked after clearing the trap then there is a blockage in the drain leading away from the gulley, and you could use a rod as advised above.
But perhaps try clearing the drain with a hose on full pressure - jigging it back and forth.

The concrete surround has been raised over the years - it was originally almost level (just above it) with the square hopper head.

There should be a square grid cover in place.
The two pipes discharging into the gulley should be extended down into the opening to discharge just above the grid.

At the same visit: a plumber could correct the plastic pipework, and clear the blockage and test the gulley and drain for leakage.

FWIW: the raised concrete path/yard could be bridging any original DPC?

As above: its blocked and the debris in the trap can be easily hand removed - there's no sewage waste involved. Wear a cheap glove and scoop it out.

If the gulley is still blocked after clearing the trap then there is a blockage in the drain leading away from the gulley, and you could use a rod as advised above.
But perhaps try clearing the drain with a hose on full pressure - jigging it back and forth.

The concrete surround has been raised over the years - it was originally almost level (just above it) with the square hopper head.

There should be a square grid cover in place.
The two pipes discharging into the gulley should be extended down into the opening to discharge just above the grid.

At the same visit: a plumber could correct the plastic pipework, and clear the blockage and test the gulley and drain for leakage.

FWIW: the raised concrete path/yard could be bridging any original DPC?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back