Drain in or out?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! Can anyone advise?? I am undecided whether to move a drain so that it is outside of a small extension or try to use one of those sealed covers. I am worried about the potential cost of moving the drain versus the space gained and also the potential aggravation/smell if the drain blocks and it is internal.

The extension is a link from my garage conversion to my wooden garden room. It is 1.6m distance and the depth would either be quite narrow roughly size of normal door opening or double that if the drain is encompassed. I am coming off a party wall with a double glazed roof and wall, like a mini conservatory.

Is moving the drain worth it and is it expensive? Is and internal sealed unit reliable and easy to install? Any advice wold be great - thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hello! Can anyone advise?? I am undecided whether to move a drain so that it is outside of a small extension or try to use one of those sealed covers. I am worried about the potential cost of moving the drain versus the space gained and also the potential aggravation/smell if the drain blocks and it is internal.

The extension is a link from my garage conversion to my wooden garden room. It is 1.6m distance and the depth would either be quite narrow roughly size of normal door opening or double that if the drain is encompassed. I am coming off a party wall with a double glazed roof and wall, like a mini conservatory.

Is moving the drain worth it and is it expensive? Is and internal sealed unit reliable and easy to install? Any advice wold be great - thanks.

I'm putting an internal double seal inspection chamber in my kitchen extension. Its at the meeting point of the soil pipe and new runs for a new toilet and drainage. It would have been a nightmare to place elsewhere, and also enabled me to do the job in two stages keeping the house in use at all times. If at all possible use a mini-inspection chamber (max 600mm deep) which can take a 1 foot square recessed lid for laying the floor finish in. These can be quite unobtrusive. I also have a larger manhole in the back garden, so a backup would be easy to isolate and I'd prefer to be able to clear this from the kitchen than have the downstairs toilet overflow !
Simon.

Thanks for sharing what you're doing Simon. It does give me better confidence in encompassing the man hole, but I'm still not 100% yet.

Does anyone else out there have anymore to share on which way to go with this??

We will always opt to move an inspection chamber to an external location, whenever it is feasible.

However, i.c.'s being what they are, can be rather stubborn. It is not unusual to see an extended property with a double seal, air tight, screw down, recessed, manhole cover, in an internal location.

They do present a problem when fitting internally as those recessed lids are a pain. Finished flooring material options may also be limited. I have never heard anyone complain about smells though as these things are air tight.

Sponsored Links
Thanks that's a real clear message. Is it likely to be expensive and would anything prevent it going ahead? Glad about the smell. Now just worried making what was supposed to be a simple feature into an expensive excercise. Is it really worth it???

Also is engineered oak floor boards suitable if I go with the internal option?

Also is engineered oak floor boards suitable if I go with the internal option?

I always ask the question, "has the inspection chamber ever blocked?"

If the answer is no, then it is highly likely to block up once you cover the lid with an oak floor!! :eek:

Only kidding. Seriously, i would say go ahead and lay the oak as you may never have any prob's in the future.

The risk and the choice is yours.

Hold your horses Nosealll!!

We've been to many internal inspection camber/manholes that have been covered over with a wooden/hardwood floor, with no access.

Complete nightmare.

Removing a customers new floor which is a T & G Oak flooring to gain access to their manhole, is not a pleasant thing to do.
(when there is no other access, or this is where the blockage is)

When there is a internal inspection camber/manhole. ALWAYS HAVE AN ACCESS PANEL...!!!

Andy

Covering an inspection chamber with an oak floor does not make it any more vulnerable than covering it with a plant pot.

This is not to say that circumstances regarding the drainage or indeed the occupants or owners of the drainage may change.

What i am saying is, if you are prepared to have an oak floor lifted then go ahead, cover the chamber.

We aren't talking about a sealed tomb here.

I could remove an oak floor with a decent power saw in a few minutes. :p

The risk is with the customer.

First of all all jokes very welcome I need a laugh!!

But seriously can anyone give me an idea of the cost of installing the described internal system versus moving the drain by approximate half to one m. This will heavily influence the decision. I don't want what started as a simple little feature turning into a money pit.

The drain was excavated from a raised flower bed and has been covered by the previous owners by 2 ft of soil for lord knows how long. So assuming no previous problems.

The average manhole gets blocked every 10 years.

Price start from £90 up to £300/400 to unblock a manhole depending who you call.

If this is only your manhole and not shared with your neighbours and you are not 'silly' as some customers we come across. The ONLY thing that should go down a toilet is.....................wait for it.............toilet paper and what comes out of us. NOTHING ELSE

Anything else can block pipes/sewers/manholes eg. sanitary towels (any type), ear buds, clip on toilet fresheners, face cloths, underwear.

The list can be endless, you'll be surprised what we find.

So if you are careful, you will be ok with an internal double seal manhole.

Andy

Thanks all so far, sorry there's a but, does anyone have any idea at of the comparative costs of each proposed solution please?

Drain pipes invariably block when they go unused for a period of time, i.e. holidays or unoccupied buildings for sale.

It occurs due to any deposits crusting or drying in the pipes and can be shifted with a good rodding!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back