Drain rod question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with the drains from the house to the public sewer. The run is about 18 metres, then a right hand 90 deg bend (!!!!) and a further 6 metres to the sewer. The run has no fall after the first 10 metres...

No surprises then that they keep getting blocked, just after the 90 degree bend. This happens a couple of times a year & as I can't afford to have the road dug up & new drains laid, I have to settle with using two sets of drain rods.

The problem I have is trying to get the rods round the bend in the road AND keep turning them clockwise! These are your regular DIY polyprop rods. Is there a better (more flexible?) rod I could use as the first to help it get round the bend under the road? I've tried using a pigtail and a plunger & both are very awkward to get round the bend.

Sponsored Links
Gary, you can buy rods with locking nuts that prevent 'unwinding'. They are more expensive but worth it if you use them regularly.......try plumbcenter etc.

As for getting round 90' bends......nope.....just skill and luck. Have you thought about digging down and cutting into the old line and putting a rodding eye in place after the 90' bend? Obviously, this would be subject to ok from building control but it would save you pounds.....and make clearing the blockages easier.....

I've seen the locking rods & to be honest should have bought them in the first place. A rodding eye would be great but the 90 degree bend is out in the road.

Out in the road? Speak to your local water authority.....if it's their sewer it's up to them to clear it....

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately the bend is in the run from my house to the start of the sewer. The picture below shows my house (the one with the caravan & red car). The start of the sewer is the red triangle. Severn Trent will not touch anything before the main sewer.

untitled-2.jpg

As its a cul de sac, is it a climbable manhole at the red triangle?

Would it be possible to rod it from the sewer end?

If thats really not an option then I would suggest that you invest in a power jetting machine and 25m of pipe. I have a 3000 psi 5 hp petrol machine which is good for drains.

It might not be that expensive to have an inspection chamber installed in the road. Have you had a quote? S-T should be adle to advise you on how to go about it.

Tony

Did the CCTV survey show any connections from other properties coming into the drain downstream from your property.
if so then the owners of these properties are liable for an equal share
of any costs if they are upstream from trhe fault.
if there are no other properties then i would think that the plan is slightly wrong.
post the video on youtube and i willl give you an experienced opinion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back