Drain through wall

Just an update on my drains. The building inspector came out today and looked over the drains. He had a walk around the site, asked which were storm and which were foul drains, looked in the foul manhole, then said "yeah, i'm happy with that, you can fill it in!".

All good i suppose, but he barely looked over anything, was onsite no more than 10 mins! Didn't even look at the drain going through the wall, the rigid board, compressible material or anything like that!

Oh well, I suppose it's better to have done it and make a good job than cut corners, just thought building control would be more attentive!

Sponsored Links
BCO's tend to have a 'nose' for anything dodgy. Try and pull the wool over their eyes and they'll check everything. Doing the job for yourself, you're less likely to cut corners, and they can soon tell if you're making the effort to do the job properly. Mine barely gave things a second glance and signed everything off without question.

Hi. This thread has been quite useful for me. Thanks for this. Would like to ask something about the topic. Sorry, I am not very experienced DIYer if the question wouldn't make sense to you. Does it have to be waterprooved with anything around the pipe from the outside? I just don't understand if the pipe penetrates the house wall below the ground how I can prevent water from entering the house?

Sponsored Links
Pipe will come through under Damp course level, so if a solid floor, will come through the Damp Proof Membrane, which should be cut carefully to allow the pipe to pass through, then carefully replaced around the pipe to retain the moisture barrier. If a suspended floor, then the floor itself will be damp proofed already.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back