Drainage channel at the end of block-paved driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for any thoughts. Garden is on a slope. I'm having my front garden taken out and blockpaved so two cars can park instead of one. If you look at the below link, (A) shows the boundary between my driveway (i live on left), and to the right is my neighbour's drive and (B) shows where usually about a 3-4 foot puddle forms for about a day on my neighbours drive when it has rained. The puddle forms as the pavement these days is higher. Everything to left of A will be removed and blockpaved

http://www.demos2.co.uk/SEP/16_09_2017/driveway_extension.jpg

I am aware of the current law on front garden blockpaving and porous bricks. Anyway, that's the info, now my question. The guy doing the job isn't going to put any form of drainage in. I am thinking I need to put a drainage channel in that leads to surface water sewage sytem. Otherwise I think my neighbour's flooded area will get larger. However looking at this photo, how would a drainage channel attach to the surface water system, how would I go about that?

And one other thing I would appreciate advice on, I've had a look round the local streets and some people have drainage channels in at the end of their blockpaved drive, but the drainage channels don't appear to be leading to any outlet. They are just there. What on earth is the point of that? Surely they will just overflow when full.

Thanks, this is causing me some distress.

Sponsored Links
Afaik it is a legal requirement? Otherwise the pollutants end up in the water drain

There will be a 4" outlet in the bottom of the channels. You could put a 90degree bend into a back inlet gully to catch any silts before you connect it into a drain.

Putting in drainage to front paved areas is OK so long as it DOES NOT discharge into the storm drains. You should use a soakaway. The whole idea behind regulating front paved areas and the way they drain is to stop the practice of people added to an already overloaded storm drain. Essentially you need to drain the water away within your own property the way is did naturally before you start paving it. Maybe it is different with some authorities.

Sponsored Links
It's block paving, provided it isn't laid over the existing concrete it doesn't require draining it is classed as a porous surface.
But if you are still concerned then any channel needs to be at the lowest end of any fall and directed to a soakaway.
If there is an issue with water running from the highway then I suppose there are two options get onto the council and get them to sort it (good luck with that) or why not put some drainage in whilst the drive is up and get your neighbour to make a small contribution as its his side that floods.

It's block paving, provided it isn't laid over the existing concrete it doesn't require draining it is classed as a porous surface.
The block paving must be "permeable block paving" to be classed as a porous surface, which does not include your standard type of block paving.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back