Drainage question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm soon starting an extension and have an outside gully which services a dishwasher and kitchen grey waste. When the extension is done this will end up inside. Could anyone advise the best way to ensure there is no open gulley in the 'inside' room. I've looked all through the net and cant seem to find a decent solution.
Any help would be most appreciated

Sponsored Links
you should move the gully completely or you could make it into a soil stack which should vent at high level...

Thanks for your quick response. I right that might be the only way. Is there anything I could use to put a 40MMMN pipe straight into the ground without a stack.? There is no sewer waste in this pipe only kitchen sink.

Which way does the drain run underground? If you can find which chamber it runs into it's reasonable to assume that it follows a straight line. Alternatively (or as well), get your hand into the gulley and feel for the exit Then post us a drawing. :) :) :)

Sponsored Links
Either change the gulley for the type with a sealed screw down lid, (use one of the bosses on the gulley for the waste), or fit a waste adaptor in the end of the 110mm pipe to accept the waste pipe.

Space Cat - image attached of the current configuration. I have uncovered the pipe. It currently goes straight for approx 4m, turns through a 90, runs another 4m until it seems to merged with a gulley from a downpipe. Approx another 3m along the run is an IC.

So is it ok with building regs to run the 40mm pipe into a sealed screw down lid? Could anyone point me in the right direction for who sells them (I've been scouring the net but no joy! Probably doing the wrong seach)

Thanks for all the response so far guys

It's plastic drainage so easy enough to alter. Personally i'd either swap the existing gulley for a 'bottle' gulley or alter the current setup to incorporate rodding access. Should worst ever happen and the gulley/sewer gunge up then you can get access to clean it out without having to demolish half the extension.....

I'd check with B.C.O. as to their preference as to either:
Connect straight to drain using this: http://www.plastics-express.co.uk/product/110mm_Single_Waste_Adaptor_40mm_P-PTE384
Or fit something like this: http://www.plasticdrainage.co.uk/underground_drainage/gullies?product_id=606 in place of the grid in a bottle gulley and connect waste to boss on side of gulley.

Hugh Jaleak said:
-- or alter the current setup to incorporate rodding access.

I'll second that. Rodding upstream to an open gully is one thing but how will you unblock that drain when you can't get your hand into the upstream end? And round a 90° bend too! :!: :!: :!:

For some reason, I can't see your attached drawing. How much of the existing pipe will be outside the new extension?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back