Draining a hot water tank with seized drain point

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to install a new hot water tank as immersion heater has failed and thread on heater is completely seized :confused: (bending tank when attempting to unscrew).

I thought this would be easy but the drain point is also completely seized (broke tool trying to undo). :cry:

I am thinking of shutting off water from the supply tank, breaking the outlet supply pipe and somehow siphoning water out. Any ideas on whether this is viable? Could I use a length of hose to siphon, or would I need a pump?

Any other ideas on how to drain the tank down?

Thanks

Ian Bates

Sponsored Links
I need to install a new hot water tank as immersion heater has failed and thread on heater is completely seized :confused: (bending tank when attempting to unscrew).

I thought this would be easy but the drain point is also completely seized (broke tool trying to undo). :cry:

I am thinking of shutting off water from the supply tank, breaking the outlet supply pipe and somehow siphoning water out. Any ideas on whether this is viable? Could I use a length of hose to siphon, or would I need a pump?

Thanks

Ian Bates

Siphoning is the way. open all your hot taps to drain header and pipes. once the downstair tap has stopped its safe for you to cut into cylinder outlet. Place your garden hose in here and run out downstairs, a few good sucks will get the siphon action going as gravity kicks in pretty quick.

Good luck Master Bates :LOL:

;)

I
Thanks

Ian Bates
Is the cylinder still serviceable :?: Get a blowlamp on the imm. boss after you`ve dropped the level below it . Hold that flame on it ,Hiding behind the airing cupboard door until the gasket goes BANG :!: . Take me seriously ( that`s how I did them ) OR spend on a new cylinder....Deal, or No Deal ;)

I
Thanks

Ian Bates
Is the cylinder still serviceable :?: Get a blowlamp on the imm. boss after you`ve dropped the level below it . Hold that flame on it ,Hiding behind the airing cupboard door until the gasket goes BANG :!: . Take me seriously ( that`s how I did them ) OR spend on a new cylinder....Deal, or No Deal ;)

What gasket goes bang! Can't see any sign of one! Already tried heat with not much luck. Maybe a more powerfull torch would do it but I'm running out of patience...

Sponsored Links

Thanks

Ian Bates

Siphoning is the way. open all your hot taps to drain header and pipes. once the downstair tap has stopped its safe for you to cut into cylinder outlet. Place your garden hose in here and run out downstairs, a few good sucks will get the siphon action going as gravity kicks in pretty quick.

Good luck Master Bates :LOL:

;)

Tah for the advice will try, but officially not been a "Master" anything since I was 16.

There is usually a thick composite gasket under the immersion head. It does take a lot of heat. Used to do dozens of them for a housing association . Horizontal ones.Economy 7 cylinders. Rigged up a blowlamp holder left it running . Warned tenant. Then about 4 mins later . Bang, gasket would split and blow out from side. Leave to cool. immersion comes out a treat. ;)

I am yet to come accross an immersion that can't be undone. Get a pro in it'll be cheaper than a new cyl!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back