draining heating to repair pipe with naill in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best way of draining a heating system to repair a pipe with a nail in it the pipe is downstairs. Want to replace with two soldered slip sockets and a bit of pipe. So will need all the water out.

Sponsored Links
Yes i would fully drain down if soldering. If i were stuck for time i would just relieve the pressure and use a compression fitting.

So you'd open the bleed keys to fully drain down the radiators on the floor above as well as the pipework. Need to use solder really as pipe won't be assessable later on. Do they sell slip sockets at plumbers merchants?

Sponsored Links
Why not use a compresion joint?
I would close off all the rads and bung the tank if open vent. Cut pipe, drain excess water, lather on the flux and get busy with the mapp gas. Don't burn the house down.
It was very hard to reply to this without being facetious. But one of my customers drained his system into buckets so he could reuse the water as it contained 10 quids worth of corrosion inhibitor that he put in fifteen years ago. Takes all sorts.

Yes open bleed points. Yes most merchants sell them. When i have been stuck for one in the past i just get the file out, and file the stop in the middle of the socket.

Oh ffs. No. If you want a slip socket then you are best off trying a sweet shop. You can't expect a plumbers' merchant to carry wierd stuff like that.

Oh ffs. No. If you want a slip socket then you are best off trying a sweet shop. You can't expect a plumbers' merchant to carry wierd stuff like that.
Eh. Plumb centre stock them hooting. Although not used very often, when you need them they are quite handy.

Yes open bleed points. Yes most merchants sell them. When i have been stuck for one in the past i just get the file out, and file the stop in the middle of the socket.
Won't get away with leaving the rads full would it just carry on dripping?

Won't get away with leaving the rads full would it just carry on dripping?
Where there's a will there's a way! It is possible to solder with a bit of water still in pipe but depends on pipe size etc.
but you may as well just fully drain. Is this in your house?

Unless you can ensure that you'll get the damaged pipe dry (and depending on your experience with soldering) you'll have grief getting the solder to flow right round... Better to use a compression in this instance - don't fret - there are 000's of 'em under floors throughout the world ;)

But they dont do compression slip sockets? The pipes in a stud wall so wont be assesable at all after. Its my friend s house just helping him out. Was going to put two slip sockets and a small bit of pipe in

But they dont do compression slip sockets? The pipes in a stud wall so wont be assesable at all after. Its my friend s house just helping him out. Was going to put two slip sockets and a small bit of pipe in

Ah! Didn't realise it was in a wall, thought it was a floor at very low level!
Crack on with sweating a coupling in there then - just use a bit of pipe and two couplings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back