Draining hot water storage tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
does any one know if the arctic freezing kit will freeze a 3/4 copper pipe long enough for me to get a valve on it, even if I have to use two. I'm trying to drain my hot water tank but the clever chap who drained it last fitted end stops but no valves. I'm left with a tank full of water and no easy way to drain it. As the end of the pipe is in my living room and the tank is on the floor above I would rather not have 30 gallons of water running out on to the floor. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
unscrew the fitting at the top and insert a hosepipe and run the other end to the bath which should hopefully be lower than your Hot Water Storage Vessel.

Start sucking.

the water should then start flowing out of your tank.

Sponsored Links
after turning off the water supply to the cylinder and draining as much as possible from the taps of course.

Of course! Thanks for your help. Just as a matter of interest would the arctic freezing kits work on 22mm - 3/4 pipes?

Yes it will, but how would you know when it was frozen, it dont tell you on the tin. so dont risk it if you dont have to,

Yes your right, the thought of the plug of ice shifting and all that water over my nice new flooring made me decide that the syphon is the way to go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back