Dribbly cutout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a cutout which is rewirable but made of bakelite rather than porcelain/cast iron. The service cable is PILC. Unfortunately it has started dripping pitch onto my worktop. It only drips a drop about once a month.

Should I bother getting them out to have a look? The other problem is that the service cable sprouts up in the kitchen and there is only about 12" of cable above the worktop.

Next question, I am getting my E7 setup removed so I was planning on ringing EDF, my supplier. Should they sort out the cutout too? My DNO is East Midlands Electricity. Or CE or whatever they are today. I know there are certain questions that should be asked to get the corect result from them. Any pointers would be appriciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I assume he means the cutout fuse is a BS3036 ;)

@OP, ring you DNO and tell them you have an old cutout which is getting warm and leaking pitch.

You will probably have to get the two jobs done seperatly, as your E7 will be removed by a meter man, and the cutout will be sorted by a mains supply / jointer type bod.

Thanks, I might just keep an eye on the cutout for a while. Incidentally, I did mean that is is a BS3036 fused at 30A, it also has been fitted with a solid neutral link.

Sponsored Links
Photo sounds good :D

If it's leaking contact your supplier and get mains in.

I (Whats known as) trouble call a leaking cutout and get mains there the same day.

Picture as requested:

sany0038sg5.jpg

you can just make out the drips below the 2 lower screws. I have chipped it off recently as it makes a mess on the worktop.

30A sounds a bit low, sure it's not a 60A?

Doesn't look bad, but if it has lost an amount of pitch and is getting warm it's best to get mains in and at least have a look.

Contact your SUPPLIER (not DNO) and tell them your cutout is leaking.

It's my understanding (as we don't use that type) that is the type of meter that enables the DNO side to be sealed and the customers side to be left available.

Am I right?

If i am right, I am wondering which genius designed a meter which made the timeclock switch wire available to the customer? :rolleyes:

it was 30A (checked with micrometer) until it blew and I replaced it with 60A. I had considered 80 or 100A but the cutout is only rated at 60A.

I would only say that it gets tepid. Would I be corect in stating that the pitch is poured in after the cable is made off?

I am planning to call them in the morning of the day that my meter change is scheduled.

The meter was sealed on both sides but the right hand side has an isolator under the cover. Unfortunately, the live tail is fed from the timeclock so it was fairly useless as a demark.

I had noticed the switchwire after I took the pic, I could stick a pin into the wire and switch the meter to low rate!

The cutout is marked as British Calendar and 60A DP The fusecarrier has a ceramic tube for the wire and a solid link for the neutral. The tubes have the same dimensions as a BS1361 fuse.

The seals are cut as BG (who were my supplier were at the time) said that I could cut them if I wanted but they wouldnt reseal them.

Shouldn't be messing with old cutouts, can sometimes go bang :eek:

edited by moderator

edited by moderator

A little bird told me that some of the digital meters have a couple of hour counters which count hours on low rate and then hours on high rate. These can be read using the IR link and hence any "error in operation" of the time switch that gives too many hours at low rate can be found.

Of course this could just be a rouse to stop people attempting to fiddle the meter.

What was unsuitable about Adam's hints? :LOL: We are all entitled to a bit of cheap electric every now and then! - - - - - - - - ! Free electric! :LOL:

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back