Dribbly cutout

the cutout was actually in very good condition. It is only 40 years old. Originally, it only had a single socket, immersion and lighting fed from it. I also had insulated gloved etc before meddling not least to mention that BG said it was fine.

For the record, I used proper fusewire as we have 100A 3036 boards at work, I have seen what a mess copper wire makes to the asbestos carriers!

I am disappointed, I missed the tricks :( not that I would entertain illegal extraction of electricity. I dont even pick up money I find in the street, the guilt of it!!

I am just looking forward to a nights sleep without the 1am alarm clock

Sponsored Links
I also had insulated gloved etc before meddling not least to mention that BG said it was fine.

Are BG your DNO or your SUPPLIER?

Are BG a DNO anywhere?

The cut out is your DNO's equipment not BG's, if when you were "Meddling" and something had gone wrong would it be your DNO or BG that had to pick up the piece's?

If BG did say you could remove the seals and tamper with the DNO equipment they are bang out of order, and the fact you had gloves on wouldn't have helped your face when the hot metal hit it if something had gone wrong.

That said you'll probably do it again if you wanted. :rolleyes:

I was being slightly sarcastic there ;)

would I do it again? possibly depending on the circumstances, Once it is sealed again, it wont be opened again. obviousely, I was confident that this fuseholder was in good condition.

If it had gone wrong, injuries aside, I think I would have a pretty good case with BG for their advice and I agree that it was irresponsible for them to suggest it.

Do you wear full arc-flash ppe when pulling a domestic supply fuse? (not being arsey, just curious) I have never seen more than gauntlets even when poking in the 11kv switchroom. I was very impressed with the DNOs isolate/earth procedure. I think many H&S people could learn from watching that. I had never seen such organisation and meticulous planning (no ppe though)

Sponsored Links
Spoke about this kind of thing with a mate who is a cable jointer a little while back.

Apparently they wear fireproof overalls all the time, but if a cutout looks a bit dodgy then the heavy gauntlets and full face shields come out!

I had the phone call recorded :)

Our overalls at work are meant to be flame retardant but when new office uniforms came out, I refused to wear them as they were polyester. Working in a steel factory, there is plenty of hot metal around and the odd arc flash from a daft electrician (new needle nose pliers needed - blew them in two with no blown fuses)

All jointers "should" wear flame retardent overalls and full PPE when changing a LIVE cutout. If the cutout looks dodgy, the good book, says to get digging and find where the service cable is jointed onto the main, and disconnect it!!!
If you report a leaking cutout i would imagine the DNO will change it. Especially if you tell them sometimes you can smell burning!!!!!

Ive been on a ERG39 course with scottish power for inserting and removing the company fuse in streetlighting and higway power supplys. Part of the course is a practical where insulated gloves and a full face visor where worn for live testing.
Ive had a few REC cutouts go bang on me when full of dead snails and cobwebs,Also seen some go up in flames.

Did the leaking cutout fuse get fixed in the end?
Yes it's over four years down the line! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

yes, its 100A now on a single rate meter. its got seals and everything!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back