Drilling a manhole cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The inlaid handles of my cast iron manhole cover have rusted away. I need to drill holes in it to fit a small raised one. Can it be drilled and if so what drill should I use?
Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The inlaid handles of my cast iron manhole cover have rusted away. I need to drill holes in it to fit a small raised one. Can it be drilled and if so what drill should I use?
Any advice appreciated.

An electric drill using HSS drill bits. Maybe start with smaller drills as a pilots, then work up to finish size.

Now then Andy , you're becoming tell like;) O.P it can be drilled with a good High Speed metal drill - a cordless drill will power it fine

Sponsored Links
I think what is being hinted at above, is to force a large flat bladed screwed driver down between frame and cover. Using two such screwdrivers you can 'walk' the cover up, if lifting it is all that you are trying to achieve. Have a bar or similar ready to slip under it, once you have it raised.

Thanks one and all. No problem in lifting it. It covers a pre cess pit inspection chamber. I just need to access it frequently to check to see if the cess pit needs clearing. Thanks Harry and Nige for drill advice.

Drilling holes in it will make any smell come out. Can you get a replacement cover with handles?

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back