Drilling into VERY HARD concrete

The material within is dense because it is vibrated to rid the conc of air.
whats annoying is you drill through the soft plaster, then hit the hard lintel and the drill then makes a massive hole in the plaster bit after a while

Sponsored Links
Makes me think that with lots of use an ordinary 'hammer drill' will 'wear' and ultimately, the 'hammer action' will lose its efficacy?
Yes that is my thoughts too, using a modern Dewalt cordless. I use the hammer sparingly with a small pilot drill then build up the size needed without hammer on.

That is good question.

In the above image, parts 53 and 50 look like they are the hammer action components. I guess in time the "sticky out bits" on the rear of 53 will become less deep and possibly rounded.
Yes, that was my thinking more or less exactly.

XRD

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Anyway, a further update in the Bosch CYL-9 vs DeWalt Extreme drill bit test ...

Had a go at drilling four 6mm x 30mm holes for wall plugs in an outside wall which is made out of a very hard engineering-type of brick (Lord alone knows why *shrugs*)

The Bosch CYL-9 drill bit definitely coped better at drilling these holes than the DeWalt Extreme bit - thankfully, I have two further brand-new bits of this type and Screwfix can have the unused deWalt Extreme bit back for a refund!

Dave

Anyway, a further update in the Bosch CYL-9 vs DeWalt Extreme drill bit test ...

Had a go at drilling four 6mm x 30mm holes for wall plugs in an outside wall which is made out of a very hard engineering-type of brick (Lord alone knows why *shrugs*)

The Bosch CYL-9 drill bit definitely coped better at drilling these holes than the DeWalt Extreme bit - thankfully, I have two further brand-new bits of this type and Screwfix can have the unused deWalt Extreme bit back for a refund!

Dave
Is your whole house made out of adamantium :LOL:
Do yourself a favour when you take them back come back with a 3 or 4mm CYL-9 --- ah not sure if screwfix sell them - I think I got mine from toolstation.

... an outside wall which is made out of a very hard engineering-type of brick (Lord alone knows why *shrugs*)

I would bite your hand off to have a house built solidly like that.
If you lived in a new build, you wouldn't need any of those fancy drill bits or drills, there's not a single drilling job you couldn't do internally or externally with just one of these:

81D5B0cc1TL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Cheese houses. I should know, I'm unfortunate enough to live in one - hopefully moving very soon!

If you lived in a new build, you wouldn't need any of those fancy drill bits or drills, there's not a single drilling job you couldn't do internally or externally with just one of these:

View attachment 337161

Cheese houses. I should know, I'm unfortunate enough to live in one - hopefully moving very soon!

My stepson's first property- he wanted me to hang a plumbed towel rail.

I soon discovered that the internal walls are 9.5mm plasterboard glued to 25mm plasterboard, with 9.5mm on the other side. The walls are held in place with 1" by 1" batons.

My stepson's first property- he wanted me to hang a plumbed towel rail.

I soon discovered that the internal walls are 9.5mm plasterboard glued to 25mm plasterboard, with 9.5mm on the other side. The walls are held in place with 1" by 1" batons.
A wolf could blow that down

View attachment 337161

Not all new builds, there are plenty of developers (smaller) building higher spec houses.

Not all new builds, there are plenty of developers (smaller) building higher spec houses.
True, but don't see many of them about.

Most new builds then, by any of the big names in housebuilding.
And with nobody to hold any of them to account for their shameful work. NHBC are just as bad as them and might as well not even exist.

NHBC do not and never have really been for the benefit of the home buyer, they are there for the owners ie the mortgage company. If you look beneath all the spiel it's pretty clear.

Is your whole house made out of adamantium :LOL:
Do yourself a favour when you take them back come back with a 3 or 4mm CYL-9 --- ah not sure if screwfix sell them - I think I got mine from toolstation.
Quite possibly. Seems highly likely. Maybe I could flog them to the Army as armour for their tanks! I know that most new-build homes are made out of tissue paper, spit, hope & a prayer but I'd like to be able to drill into "normal bricks" for a change.

Talking about baggy holes, it isn't unusual for me to drill through the plaster and hit the edge or corner of one of the bricks and, being a damn sight more "solid" than the plaster, naturally the drill bit wanders and you end up with a gaping, oval-shaped hole. Grrrrr!

That is a good suggestion aboiut the 3 & 4mm CYL-9 bits and you're right, Screwfix only have the CYL-9 'Soft Ceramic' bits but Toolstation have a selection of the CYL-9 TCT masonry bits.

We had a new-build Tarmac home in the early 80's. The next door neighbour wanted to add a few more kitchen cupboards, drilled a hole for one and went through a power cable which had been fixed diagonally across the wall to save a tiny bit of cable (and yes, I know that was the Sparky's doing, but who in Tarmac passed that off as okay?) Luckily he was unhurt but had to make a bigger hole in the plasterboard in order to replace the cable he'd gone through!

Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back