Drilling large diameter holes in brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to install some recessed steplights in a brick wall in my garden. The recess would be 65mm across and about 80mm deep.

What sort of equipment would I need to create the recess? I have heard some talk about core drills - are these straightforward to use or the sort of thing I would need to get a professional in to install?

Sponsored Links
You will need a SDS drill + core drill bit, you'll have to work out the difference of buying one or hiring it from the tools shop, I have bought a very cheap SDS drill for what I need it for but the cheap SDS drill do not have a clutch which prevent any injury to yourself

As Masona says, but you will also be paying for wear on the bit & of course until that is returned you wont know how much.

Sponsored Links
Yep a core drill would be ideal.
You will want a fairly beefy Hammer drill. Something similar to THIS
This is what i use at work when i need to cut for pipes ect, you can do it was a smaller one but it may take some time
What type of wall is it your drilling into? as if its a cavity wall with only a single skin of brick at 100mm your probably going to break through into your cavity so make sure its well damp proofed behind the lights. as water could easily seep in.
I`m assuming that the light will go on your house. if its on a boundry wall or a planter ect then for get what i say[/url]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back