Drilling two 25mm holes in a wall tile.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I require to drill into a ceramic tile (200 x 200mm) which is fixed to a stud partition wall to secure a wall plate for a shower bar. The supply holes need to be 25mm diameter, 150mm apart. I am planning to use a similar drill bit to this and this jig. The reason I am a bit a little apprehensive of this task is that tiles I have drilled previously have been of a slightly larger diameter (30- 35mm) and there was an arbour drill as part of the kit. I don’t think arber drills come with holecutters less than 30mm but I may be wrong here. Are there any precautions/advice to be considered here? Would it be wise to create a plywood guide of some sort?

Thanks for any help offered.

Sponsored Links
I've drilled tile holes using the drill bit you linked. It's wobbly to get started but once the first depth of the circular groove is made it sits nicely in the hole. I did mine without a jig, but i did a test hole on an old piece of tile first.

Start off by cutting a home-made jig of MDF - then it'll work no probs.

Alan: OK, then at least this task seems plausible without a jig. Thanks a lot.

Joe: Just a couple of questions here. Firstly, though I do have some MDF, is it wise to go cutting up from a health viewpoint. I thought the fibres of this stuff were highly carcinogenic? Secondly, the type of drill bit being used here requires liberal use of water to be sprayed to avoid blunting. Does this not cause the MDF to swell and lose shape? Thirdly do you cut exactly the same size hole in the MDF that you intend drilling through the tile? Cheers. ;)

Sponsored Links
It only needs to last for a few seconds until it gets going. Almost anything will do. It doesn't need to be overly thick.

use offcuts of plasterboard (if any to hand) or start drilling it on a slight angle, virtually vertical. Hold the drill with your hand in a bridging position, similar to a shot in snooker.... if you know what i mean.

I used one of these which you can get from screw fix cat no. 13295 when I did my shower recently and it worked perfectly, and it is adjustable for different size holes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back