Dripping Water coming down fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I hope I have put this in the right place as this is the first time I have posted on these forums.

Basically my partner and I recently had a problem with a dead bird getting stuck down our chimney (nice) which caused a lot of flies. We got this sorted and then decided to get a cap put on the top of our chimney to stop it happening again.

Now we have had a multi flue cowl put on top of our chimney and now when it rains we get a drip coming down the chimney and onto our log burner. We havent got the log burner linked up yet but plan to in the future but this dripping is doing our head in when it rains and surely it isn't right?

I stress that this didn't happen before the cowl was put in but the amount of twigs and debris which was up our chimney when we tried to get this dead bird out could of been stopping the dripping from happening?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Going to bump this as its just started raining again and the dripping has started. It isn't constant but its so annoying!

A pic of the rain cowl would help, I guess but the twigs and other rubbish up there would happily stop rain coming down before.
So, if the cowl has a rain cap, then the cement launching that holds the chimney pot on is in poor condition, or the water is bleaching in elsewhere.
Is your chimney lined?
John :)

Sponsored Links
As above post.

Have the flue swept and smoke tested.

Sounds like you need a HETAS with a Register plate and a liner - the liner to be attached to your multi fuel cowl.

Flaunching is often difficult to access or see during an inspection but if a cowl was fitted then the state of the flaunching would have been seen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back