Driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im after a block driveway , need to know what to look out for with contractors . New to the area so dont know who to ask for a good reference

Sponsored Links
ask neighbours who have had it done on the same street

Sponsored Links
sub-base, sub-base, sub-base. ALl block paving looks pretty good when its first done, but its how it looks 6 months to a year later that counts. Many dont put enough sub-base down or compact it enough. In time they sink in places with the traffic that goes over them.

If you get quotes ask what thickness they put down, and ask for some local jobs to see that they did 12-18 months ago, and see how they have faired

We had a good job done by Top Pave linked to tarmac....can`t get the page to load here :oops: Try a google. The contractors are independant, but the guarantee is thru tarmac. check it out ;). P.S what to look out for ...Roy and Pete with their fancy signwritten vans and even landline numbers .....That`s Diddacoi Roy and ***** Pete :eek:

thermo is spot on, i have recently relayed a few drives that were done a couple of years ago. They had sunk all over the place and in one place an old wall had not been removed, just knocked down flush with the blinding. Imagine a concrete solid found, verses badly compacted earth and blinding. No surprise that the quicker jobs are often the worse ones.

went to do a quote for a couple for some decking last year, that i had done work for previously. They were having the front drive done. As i walked to the front door something wasnt quite right in my mind. After the quote i came out and realised that they were laying the blockpaving down on mot that hadnt been compacted, and on the bedding layer of sharp sand that hadnt been compacted, which was about 100mm thick.

Funnily enough when i went back to do the decking job two months later the driveway was all over the place. :rolleyes:

I recently encountered 163x123 pavers onb 100mm building sand. It was like the bastard child of a swamp and a bouncy castle.

Share your paving horror stories here......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back