Driving without lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its been a foul day today in the north west! I have been driving on the M6 with my wipers on full at times and I keep coming across drivers of newish cars with no rear lights on! What is going on?

Sponsored Links
Oh come on even you cannot be that stupid. New cars have daylight running lights on and drivers of newer cars, rightly or wrongly, just use those. DRLs do not come on at the rear and even in the most inclement weather a fair number of people do not bother switching on their headlights. Also there is already a thread discussing this. I suggest you read the forum before post inaneities.

Its been a foul day today in the north west! I have been driving on the M6 with my wipers on full at times and I keep coming across drivers of newish cars with no rear lights on! What is going on?

You're driving too fast, if you keep coming up on cars "in foul conditions". ;)

Modern cars have running lights and light sensors - so if it’s light, but raining, you have turn the lights on manually - which hoards of numpties don’t realise

Sponsored Links
Sorry for Fred's rudeness.

I'm in total agreement with you. I just don't get why people in foul conditions duing the day do not put their lights on.

In outback Australia on a bright sunny day you would see the lights of a road train before you would see the road train .

Seems like the type of vehicle least in need of DRLs. If drivers can't spot a road train coming, they need to go to the Aussie version of Specsavers.
That would be "Put your bloody Specs on R US".

That is really not the point.

Actually that really is the point.

On our roads I see little grey or cars that look the shade of the Road driving with no lights on a grey miserable February wet morning going 70 down the motorway.

That's my point

That would be "Put your bloody Specs on R US".

That is really not the point.

Actually that really is the point.

On our roads I see little grey or cars that look the shade of the Road driving with no lights on a grey miserable February wet morning going 70 down the motorway.

That's my point

What's your point?

After all, you said yourself that you see them. (y)

That's my point
And a good point, although unlit on residential roads is probably worse...

Grey and black make up almost half of car colours in the UK...

But it's not just those conditions that need lights to make a vehicle stand out...

And a further thought...

With the rise in electric vehicles, quite a few people might not hear them coming so visuals will become even more important...

And interestingly they are trialing a new generation of fully electric buses locally...

Now we've all got used to hearing that bleeping sound and 'this vehicle is reversing' from lorries etc...

But I have to admit it was only very recently that I first heard 'this vehicle is turning left/right'...

No doubt other areas were earlier adopters and over time I guess it might become the norm.

And a further thought...

With the rise in electric vehicles, quite a few people might not hear them coming so visuals will become even more important...
There was talk of adding engine noise to the vehicles in question, although i'm not sure a recording of someone shouting "vroom, vrooooom" will be much help.

And - unless the driver is revving the engine - much of the sound of a car, to the pedestrian, is tyre noise anyway.

Its really easy, make sure you can stop in the distance you can see is clear.

How did the OP know they didn't have lights on? Because he could see them without lights on. So if that is the case, why the need for lights?

I would imagine, the OP would have been able to see the vehicle much, much earlier, had they had their lights on, giving much more time to respond to their presence. There is nothing worse than having to suddenly modify your driving plan, because another vehicle appears out of the gloom, with no lights showing.

Sponsored Links
Back