Droplights, fan in bathroom stopping intermittently

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - I've been experiencing droplights and extractor fan in my bathroom stopping intermittently, not sure where to troubleshoot.

It started with one of the droplights flickering and then stopping altogether. I thought it was the bulb, but before I could go get a replacement it came back on. At the same time the extractor fan would sometimes stop working, ie not come on with the lights, and start roughly 10 minutes later. Doesn't always do this though.

Eventually one of the droplights went out - so I replaced the bulb - but not working. Looked in the loft and it looks like some older style (?) distribution unit. This was all in place before we bought the place.

Another one of the droplights has started to act the same now.

Also - not sure if it is related - but the wall switch for the lights/fan sometimes buzzes when we turn it on, sounds like it is one its way out?

Any ideas - or where I should start troubleshooting?

pod.jpg

Sponsored Links
Not sure why Winston thinks its the switch, its unlikely a switch can affect individual lamps.
You really need to see what that white box is, only open it with the power off, being a bathroom its possibly a 12 volt transformer, have you by any chance fitted Led lamps in the bathroom, transformers and Leds can sometimes create buzzing sounds

Sponsored Links
Hi - no, I've not fitted any leds, they're halogen mr16 types. They've been in there since before 2010 I'd say, when the previous owner re-did the bathroom.

Not sure why Winston thinks its the switch, its unlikely a switch can affect individual lamps.
You really need to see what that white box is, only open it with the power off, being a bathroom its possibly a 12 volt transformer, have you by any chance fitted Led lamps in the bathroom, transformers and Leds can sometimes create buzzing sounds

The white box is just a junction box with a terminal strip inside, a Hager J701. https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/4304017-adaptable-box-no-terminals

The fault is either the transformer for the individual light failing, or the lampholder overheating and failing.
Switch may be worn, but would cause problems with all of the lights, not just one.
Fan problem may be unrelated.

Swapped out the switch, new one no longer buzzes/fizzes.

The dead droplight is still dead, so it is most likely the transformer. It is an Aurora AU-60T. I've read on the forum that they're not the most long-lived brand/model?

The fan is still acting strangely. Sometimes it comes on as soon as the lights are switched on, but other times takes between 10-15 minutes before it comes on. After that it works fine.. It is a Manrose MF100T that we installed in 2016.

Aurora is actually a pretty good brand. The transformer best are IBL they are bullet proof. Have you changed from low Voltage lamps to LED by any chance. If so although they may work (badly) they should have led drivers or completely change and put GU10 fittings or holders and get new lamps I would say Enlite or Aurora are one of the best led lamps available for the cost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back