Dropping Ceilings for spot lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I hope you are well.

My current ceiling is concrete and I would like to drop my ceiling to so that I can add spot lights. I will be adding 2x4 around the perimeter and then add 2x4 joists 40cm a part. My only concern is that I my room size is 380.8cm x 392cm. I live on the top floor so I do not think I can get a 4.5m 2x4 pieces of wood up here.

Could i get a 3m 2x4 pieces and then cut a smaller piece to make the difference?

If so, how will I join the 2 piece of 2x4 to make the distance of the room?

Will this create sag?

Also what is the best and safest direction to run the studs.

I will only be putting plasterboards that weigh 28kg per board and 9 spot lights.

I have attached the room layout for reference.

Thank you in advance! :)

Room Layout.jpg

Sponsored Links
yes you could do that, you would need to screw another piece alongside the joists, say a piece 1.2 long so you have 0.6 either side of the join

I would use timber lok screws to pull them together

you need a driver bit for them as well

join them before putting them up so you can screw at 90 degrees, put a pair of screws at each fixing point, but not directly one above the other -stagger them by say 75mm. maybe total of 8 screws per joining piece

oh an I would do the joins alternate ends as well

you could use joists hangers, if so Id suggest fitting them before putting up your wall plates

yes you could do that, you would need to screw another piece alongside the joists, say a piece 1.2 long so you have 0.6 either side of the join

I would use timber lok screws to pull them together

you need a driver bit for them as well

join them before putting them up so you can screw at 90 degrees, put a pair of screws at each fixing point, but not directly one above the other -stagger them by say 75mm. maybe total of 8 screws per joining piece

oh an I would do the joins alternate ends as well

you could use joists hangers, if so Id suggest fitting them before putting up your wall plates
Thank you so much for your help.

This is what I got from your message:

The green lines are 2x4 pieces of wood
The red lines are the 3m 2x4
the blue lines are the 1.2m pieces.

Yellow arrows: showing 8 screws staggered on each side

Room Layout.jpg

Does anyone live above you?
You could just fix the timber straight to the concrete using angle brackets and this type of screw.

Evolution-Masonry-Screws-with-a-Slotted-Hex-Head-in-Evoshield.jpg

You could also use 2*1 timber battens for ease of handling, counter batten with the same, and you could use low profile downlights to save on lost headroom.

Sponsored Links
Does anyone live above you?
You could just fix the timber straight to the concrete using angle brackets and this type of screw.

View attachment 334435

You could also use 2*1 timber battens for ease of handling, counter batten with the same, and you could use low profile downlights to save on lost headroom.

Thank you for the message.

No one lives on top of me. We were thinking to drop the ceiling down by13cm. So I don't think this would be a viable solution for us.

But I will give this option some thought , if I am unable to make things work.

Thank you once again.

Personally, rather than fit a substantial structure with self-supporting full width joists, I'd just build a lightweight suspended ceiling suspended on wires or brackets. You could still plasterboard and skim it, or use one of the lightweight plank systems if you like that idea.

Either DIY a lightweight frame or even use one of the commercial systems https://materialsmarket.com/plasterboard-drylining/metal-studs-ceilings/mf-ceiling-system

Personally, rather than fit a substantial structure with self-supporting full width joists, I'd just build a lightweight suspended ceiling suspended on wires or brackets. You could still plasterboard and skim it, or use one of the lightweight plank systems if you like that idea.

Either DIY a lightweight frame or even use one of the commercial systems https://materialsmarket.com/plasterboard-drylining/metal-studs-ceilings/mf-ceiling-system

Thank you for the response. Do you have an example of what this looks like?

Thank you so much for your help.

This is what I got from your message:

The green lines are 2x4 pieces of wood
The red lines are the 3m 2x4
the blue lines are the 1.2m pieces.

Yellow arrows: showing 8 screws staggered on each side

View attachment 334434
Yup, pretty much like that

A metal suspended ceiling is a good option too, if you can screw into the ceiling

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back