Dry cutting slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know the title of this thread will grab some attention (maybe for the wrong reason) but basically I need to cut some 32mm thick slabs for the risers of my steps. I only need to do about 10 cuts. I have a Makita 9" diamond tipped angle grinder.

I plan to do the cuts in my back garden with 2 damp pieces of hardboard being me to help suppress the dust. I have goggles/3M mask and gloves.

Is there anything else I should consider? Apart from my neighbour being on nights......

Sponsored Links
There will be large amounts of dust, more than damp cardboard would cope with......consider getting a helper to direct water on to the blade while you concentrate on staying safe and controlling the grinder.
Wear some ear muffs maybe?
John :)

Cheers guys. I have got some ear defender now.
Is spraying water a good idea though because the grinder is electric?

Sponsored Links
it'll be fine. wear a mask and tell your neighbours to bring in their washing.

You can't make an ommlette without breaking a few eggs

Haha cheers r896neo

Yeah spoke to the neighbours early. Got all my ballast, sharp sand, cement and slabs so all ready to go!

Its not about set cutting but I noticed paving expert suggests 10:1 or 6:1 dry mix for slabs with light use.... Will it matter much if I use either of these ? I actually planned to do 4:1.....

I have laid some dry, but find it hard to get the levels spot on as there is no 'spring' in the mix and in my experience tapping the slabs on a dry mix makes breakage more likely. So in my garden I now use a wet-ish 6:1 mix. The PE site describes that option somewhere as well I think. You don't want it too wet of course.

I wouldn't wear builder's gloves while using heavy power tools. They impede your control of the machine, won't protect your hands and in the event of mishap can be grabbed by the spinning disc of a grinder. I speak from experience.

Cheers
Richard

Just to clarify as a matter of record for others who may read this, paving expert recommends a semi-dry/ damp mix which is not the same as a totally dry mix.

As wrathkeg mentioned you will find a wet mix much easier to acheive a good result with.

Personally i use 6:1 wet like a brick-laying mortar but made with grit sand.

Put plenty of plasticiser in too, it will make it much more workable. follow the instructions

Cheers guys. I did use a dry-ish mix, the moisture in the sharp sand and bit added. Only got the straight section done yesterday morning.... Step next week.

View media item 84190

Cheers, took a bit longer than expected as it needed building up quite a bit with sub base and bricks as the previous concrete had a big fall and was a couple of bricks below the DPC

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back