Dry lining backboxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I was hoping to get some 'experts' opinions on using plastic dry lining back boxes for new sockets if it is not possible to use metal back boxes.
Are they ok to use?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
On plasterboard or in chased out walls? If the latter then there are no situations when when you could use drylining boxes instead of metal K/O boxes. If you can't use the metal ones then the plastic ones won't work either.

If you meant for plasterboard walls then yes, of course you can use them, that is what they are made for.

Dry lining boxes are designed specifically for stud walls i.e. plasterboard mounted on a timber frame.
Where plasterboard is dot and dabbed on a brick wall then metal back boxes are used as there is insufficient spce for the lugs on dry lining boaxes to engage on plasterboard. In fact you will need to chase out to get a reasonable depth.

I have seen someone cut them into dry lined walls - the twonk.

If you can fit a noggin and metal box to a stud wall, I would always do this - defo for first fix builds. Dry liners play their part in retro fitting - as in adding sockets - they provide a lovelly access hatch before you fit the box and socket.

The Appleby ones are crap - the knurled 3.5mm brass thread fails in them time and time again. (The white ones with yellow clip out wings).

Sponsored Links
you need special ones if you have double boarded walls..
standard ones don't tend to have the reach on the lugs and trying to chop out the board behind ot get a good fix is a pain..

you tend to get these in areas where there may be a fire risk or just for sound deadening..

Unforntunately, although a good idea, many of them leave a lot to be desired ref strength of lug (due to area of grip) and the threaded bit too.
if they were only better made.
Years ago you could get butterfly type clips for converting metal boxes.
But I suspect not now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back