Dry Rot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I have been renovating my 1930s semi. My kitchen extension is made from solid brick, so I have had the inside rendered, battened, kingspan type insulation fitted between the battens, and then plasterboarded and skimmed.

I have had water leaking in through one of the windows (several attempts at re-sealing with silicone have failed). I thought the problem was fixed, but yesterday noticed a damp patch on the floor near the window. On further inspection, I found some fungus growing (on the bottom of one of the battens). I scraped it off (looked like mushrooms :eek: ) and it left a red residue (brick colour). After researching, it seems if might be dry rot. This is only affecting 1 batten that I can see so far, and it is only the cut end (battens are 2x2). I have got a guy coming tonight to price a new window (I'm fed up with the current one).

I have no central heating at the moment, as the plumbing is being finished. Should I worry about the mushrooms, or is it something that should clear up once the window/central heating is sorted?

I am seriously fed up of things going wrong with this house :evil:

Thanks

Dave

Sponsored Links
Please read my previous forum submission on dry rot. Deal with the source of moisture ingress, increase ventilation to the subfloor void and promote rapid drying. All these measures should ensure that timber moisture contents are brought down to a level where the dry rot fungus will lie dormant. You've got spores so that means you've got a Sporophore (fruiting body) somewhere. Make sure you find it and remove it. You'll need to cut out any unsound infected timber but if it's still sound leave in place and deal with the damp issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back