Dual fuel kickspace heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for one which has some "intelligence" built into it.

Basically I want something controlled by a room stat which will operate the fan assist for the wet heating, but turn on the electric element if needed because the CH isn't running.

The Myson Duo, for example, doesn't do that - the user has to decide whether to manually switch the electric element on or not.

Anybody aware of such a beastie?

Sponsored Links
there isnt much choice for this type of product. I think maybe smiths might do a dual fuel model but thats pretty much it. Dont think what you want exists. sorry

Smiths SS5 Dual has an electric element, but you have to manually switch it to wet or electric like the Myson.

What about modifying it by replacing the switch with an external relay wired up to switch to electric if the room stat calls AND the C.H. is off? I bet you've thought of that though....

can you not have a room stat set for 2 degrees below the wet system
yes both will run until the room reaches the preset level but simple enough:cool:

Sponsored Links
there isnt much choice for this type of product. I think maybe smiths might do a dual fuel model but thats pretty much it. Dont think what you want exists. sorry
Smiths SS5 Dual has an electric element, but you have to manually switch it to wet or electric like the Myson.
Smiths was the other maker I found when starting to look for dual-fuel heaters, but it seemed to have the same limited modes as the Myson.

Didn't get far enough to find that hardly anybody makes dual-fuel in the first place, if that be so....

What about modifying it by replacing the switch with an external relay wired up to switch to electric if the room stat calls AND the C.H. is off? I bet you've thought of that though....
No - I hadn't thought of that. Thanks.

Unlike rads, which are going to give out heat even if the CH is "off", those little jobbies will cool almost immediately the CH pump stops.

I'll give that idea some thought - N/C relay on the CH call for heat.

can you not have a room stat set for 2 degrees below the wet system
yes both will run until the room reaches the preset level but simple enough:cool:
It's a bathroom, so arguably we want it warmer there than the rest of the house.

fair enough
but any automatic/non intelligent system will require the electric heating to be lower set otherwise it will be the dominant heating or the only heating when switched on if the thermostatic valves on the radiator turn off

It's a bathroom, so arguably we want it warmer there than the rest of the house.[/quote]

Just a note: (excerpt from ecoes reference material)

This Space Saver model must not be installed in a
bathroom or other high humidity areas. Please
contact us on 01245 324560 for details of products
suitable for these applications

Oh. Not that one then. :unsure:

The Myson kickspace blurb says that bathrooms are OK. It may also cut the electric element if the wet system is hot (?)- but it doesn't say so in the 'instructions'.

Thought of another way to control it.

Room stat/programmer for just that heater - when it calls for heat it starts a timer. If after X minutes the room isn't up to temp it switches on the electric.

I want electric as well as wet (God how I hate that work "hydronic") because we don't like our house as warm as most people, so the CH season tends to start later and finish earlier than normal for us, but in the bathroom there are times as winter gives way to spring or autumn gives way to winter when we want it heated even though we are not running the CH.

And it's nice to have a backup if the boiler fails.

But considering that electric only models start at around £50, I'm beginning to wonder how long it would take to recoup the cost of a dual one in reduced running costs.

What about installing a room stat to switch the heater on and off, and a pipe stat on the CH flow pipe to switch the heater between CH and electric mode?

It should only be a case of replacing a switch with a relay to achieve this.

Liking RF's idea of using a pipe stat for the 'CH on' signal.

However, what will stop the heater coming on in electric mode at night when no heating is required?
That room stat might have to be programmable one if it's to operate the heater independently of the 'main' CH and ensure it stays off when no heating is required.

Yo - a simple programmer for timed operation with an override if having a shower/bath at an unusual time. It's a typically poky 3-bed suburban semi bathroom, so a fan heater will warm it up pretty quickly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back