Dudley toilet not flushing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a Dudley toilet that flushes when you press the button which is connected via a tube. Today, the toilet wont flush when I press the button.
I even tried blowing down the tube, but still no flush.

What I do get is the sound of what may be a lever lifting and dropping (or whatever it does inside).

Any ideas as to what the problem may be?

Not sure what Dudley model I've got, but the sound is coming from an oval shaped green box with "Dudley" on the top.

Thanks
Gary

Sponsored Links
These devices do need a short, sharp blast of air to start them flushing, so give it another go? Usually its the bellows that fail.
However, www.toiletspares.co.uk have the bits you need (flush valve etc) and its worth having a look - under 'Thomas Dudley'.
John :)

Not sure what Dudley model I've got, but the sound is coming from an oval shaped green box with "Dudley" on the top.
Thomas Dudley Niagara Pneumatic flush valve.
Replace it with a Fluidmaster PRO550UK or 550073 would be my suggestion.

Taken a look an the Dudley valve is at fault - one of the plastic clips has seen better days.

I've been to Plumb Center, Homebase, Wickes, etc and saw the fluidmaster valve. Although it is half the cost of the Dudley, the push buttons are quite a bit smaller than the Dudley button. The problem is the Fluidmaster button is not big enough to fill the hole in the unit.

From what I could see, the Fluidmaster air tube is sealed to the unit, so I cannot simply use my Dudley button - or can I?

Sponsored Links
I assume that because you've got a pneumatic Niagara that you've got a concealed cistern, as that valve only comes as standard in the Miniflo and Pushflo cisterns, which are both concealed.

Why do you think you can't fit the Fluidmaster?
What button do you have at present, i.e. what diameter hole and how thick is the partition?

Yes, its a pneumatic Niagra (we have the Vantage concealed cistern).

Having taken a look at the Fluidmaster, I think the button is much smaller. The Dudley button is a round 73.5mm diameter one, so obviously the Fluidmaster would be too small for the hole in the vanity unit panel.

The panel is 20mm thick and the approx depth of the button housing is 80mm.

Not sure if I could get hold of the same style panel (and drill a smaller hole).

Anyone know where I can get hold of a Niagra?
Best I've found so far is around £35 with next day delivery (hopefully they have one in stock).

Oh, and I didn't mention that I've managed to cause a major leak when removing (or rather re-connecting) the wash basin that is part of the same vanity unit :(

as that valve only comes as standard in the Miniflo and Pushflo cisterns, which are both concealed.
And the Vantage. :oops: :oops:

£35, if that includes next-day carriage and VAT is a fairly good price for a Niagara. Is it single or dual flush, though? The pneumatic Niagara comes as one or the other.

Found a plumbing supplier with the dual flush 30 miles away.
Ok, so I wanted a single flush but they didnt have any in stock.

Anyway, replacement valve now installed and working fine.
Now to try and put the vanity unit back together without flooding the bathroom again!!!!

Thanks for all you advice guys, much appreciated :D

I just dismantled one of the dudley dual push buttons. When tested it didn't work - the big spring had been put back by me the wrong way. It works fine now :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back