Durgo issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've just been asked to change a toilet over as the old one has been constantly blocking since the people moved into the house 18 months ago. House is only about 10 years old. I've changed te toilet over and the new one is doing the same. On further examination and removing a tile to get access into some boxing the toilet is on a durgo. Looking in the other bathroom so is that one ad the downstairs toilet goes straight into the floor. The toilet I have changed is the only one that has the backing up problem (this durgo is the highest). However when testing I found if I remove the cup in the shower tray waste that creates the trap the toilet is fine. So in theory if I change the trap on the whb to an air admittance one does that sound like it will solve the problem as the basin tees into the same waste pipe that the shower is in before dropping in to the floor. I'm going back tomorrow to solve (hopefully the problem) thanks

Sponsored Links
Does the toilet work properly if you remove the Durgo? it sounds like it might not be functioning properly and therefore a new Durgo would fix it.

I was wondering if it was the durgo unfortunately it's all boxed in and tiles on top. I've taken one on the side off but the stack is in the far corner. Without completely taking the shower wall boxing apart the only way I'm think i could get to it is to remove the ceiling in the boxing from the loft. Was just hoping for an easier option.

Sponsored Links
It's possibly blocked (or partially blocked), when the toilet is flushed if the water cannot get away then it needs to displace the same volume of air from within the pipe. A Durgo lets air in but will not let positive pressure out. Removing the seal on the shower trap will have the effect of allowing positive pressure from within the system out, so therefore the toilet will flush correctly.

I'd check the discharge stack and drains before going any further.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back