Durgo Valve/ AAV: Can I fit one in my ensuite?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am refitting my ensuite which currently vents off a stack through the roof. There is a shower, WC and basin all on the same stack. My plumber has suggested fitting a Durgo/AAV and removing the stack to give more space in the bathroom. The AAV would be at around the same height as the basin overflow but higher then the WC overflow and shower. I have read that AAVs should be higher (ideally 50mm+) than the highest overflow. (The main bathroom and downstairs cloak all vent through a separate stack to a different part of the outside sewer). Does anyone have any advice on this one?

Also is any AAV as good as a bona fide Durgo or should I try and fit the original?

Thanks for any advice - Iain

Sponsored Links
I can't see that removing the vent stack will provide much usable space in the bathroom. I'd be inclined to leave it as it is, there's less to go wrong.

Dergo; AAV: both the same. It would be quite acceptable to fit one. It will give you a bit more room.

Dergo; AAV: both the same. It would be quite acceptable to fit one. It will give you a bit more room.

Durgo and AAV are not the same :rolleyes:

An Auto Air Vent lets air out (AAV)

An Auto Air Admittance Valve (Durgo) lets air in (AAAV)

Just a technicality. ;)

Sponsored Links
Ok if you want to be fussy: AAV can be EITHER:

Air Admittance Valve

or

Automatic Air Vent...

I was referring to the former, which, is a Dergo valve, and not an auto air vent.

Well you're all talking rubbish, because the proposed alteration ("fitting a Durgo/AAV and removing the stack") requires LABC approval.

when renewing my flat roof and bathroom i fitted a durgo as it removed boxing in up to ceilling and my flat roof has 1 less place to leak.

i wont tell if you dont :D :D

So in which situation would you use an AAAV instead of an AAV?

They aren't called "Auto Air Admittance Valves" - that's just a stupid name for an AAV, in a single document, produced by a second-rate manufacturer.

In the very same document, Polyplumb writes:

"An alternative to conventionally venting and terminating a soil stack is the use of a Polyvalve air admittance valve.".

So why don't you call it a PAAV?

Not misleading. Just wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back