Durgo Valve/ AAV: Can I fit one in my ensuite?

Hi all
Thanks for the various feedback. When I wrote AAV I did mean Air Admittance Valve i.e. the generic name for the Durgo. Sorry for any confusion.

Whilst putting the Durgo/AAV in would give a slight space advantage and improve look of the bathroom (as it would mean sink is not tight to the side wall) my inclination is to retain vented stack. Mainly this is "gut feel" ie one less part to fail and based on various web articles / blogs etc where people have had problems.

I am sure 95% of the time they work perfectly, however if they don't the consequences are pretty unpleasant.

Regards Iain

Sponsored Links
At least the head of the drain must be vented to atmosphere.

My original comment was tongue in cheek :LOL: we all knew what you meant.

Hi Doitall

This stack empties to the highest point on the underground drain - I assume that is what is meant to "head of the drain"? so if it is durgo'ed then the next vented stack is lower down the drain We are also at top end of cul de sac so the durgo would be on the highest point of the entire drain system. - which doesn't seem like a good idea?

Regards Iain

IainJ, you say that your inclination is to retain the vented stack, but without consulting your BCO that's the only legal action you can take.

The BCO's contribution is to take into account the neighbouring stacks, and any planned alterations that you might be unaware of. Without that knowledge you can't possible come to any conclusion that isn't a gamble, and in those circumstances anyone who recommends anything other than an open vent is a phony. doitall is the best of the sorry bunch, since he appears to understand drains, but the others are, like sewers, simply full of hot air.

Sponsored Links
Hi Balderdash
I wasn't aware that there was a building control implication. I assume (hope) my plumber was though. In the end we have decided not to durgo on this occasion.
Thanks Iain

i always thought that a durgo valve had to be min 600mm above the highest outlet.that wouldnt save very much space.

They are all air admittance valves, be it , plumbplast, polypipe, floplast, studor, durgo. etc. They all do a similar job. Its like you say Ill hoover the carpet, but you might have a dyson. Durgo is what builders have come to call AAV,s over the years. That said, there are some AAV,s that are better than others. I have found that the best one by far and easiest to use is the plumbplast one. It is sold on ebay under various suppliers, ie
pat3sons, allbits, tws plastics etc. The large size fits both 110mm and 82mm soil pipe. it has its own ring seal and so just push fits straight on to the soil pipe, job done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back