Durgo valve installed, now toilet bubbling when taps run

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Had solar panels put on about three weeks ago. I asked them how they would deal with the stench pipe and they promised me they wouldn't cap it in the loft, but would but in an alternative exterior vent underneath the panels.

When they finished, I popped up in the loft, and lo and behold there was a Durgo valve.

This morning, my wife was cleaning the bathroom. She was running both bath and sink taps, and flushed the toilet. The water filled the toilet and nearly spilled over. Then it slowly drained to normal level.

If I run the sink tap, then the water level in the toilet slowly rises by about half an inch or so, before starting to bubble. This bubbling stops after 30 seconds or so.

Opinions? Is this due to the Durgo valve, or is this just a coincidence? It's been three weeks since the panels were fitted, I'd expect to see any problems sooner.

I've been onto the installers (Carillion) who can't get anybody out today. So we're stuck with the problem until after Xmas.

I don't know whether I can run baths for the kids etc. Appreciate some advice!

Thanks
Jim

Sponsored Links
Remove the valve and see what happens.

However, I suspect you've got a blockage somewhere, not related to the durgo. Check any inspection chambers outside.

Remove the valve and see what happens.

However, I suspect you've got a blockage somewhere, not related to the durgo. Check any inspection chambers outside.

Thanks for the quick reply. I can borrow my neighbor's drain rods. If the inspection chambers look okay, what's the best approach? Take off the valve and put the rods down from the top?

Sponsored Links
Not necessariry - you're trying to dislodge enough to allow subsequent flushes and water from bath/sink etc to flow sufficiently to do the rest for you - use the corkscrew attachment rather than the rubber disc plunger.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back