DVD recorder can't get Guide Plus

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Sony DVD Recorder and a Sony Bravia TV. They were linked also to a VHS video recorder but we disconnected that yesterday. as we never use it. Since then we are unable to get Guide Plus up to record programmes. We have checked and rechecked the connection diagrams in the instruction book and all seems OK. We can get the Title List and the Timer list up but not the Guide plus. and we have perfect pictures on the TV so the aerial must be OK. Has anyone any idea what could be wrong please?

Sponsored Links
I've been on the Sony forum and lots of people are having this problem and Sony don't seem to want to do anything about it. Apparently Guide plus has and is being phased out. Someone on the forum said to use Freeview EPG but did not explain how to get this.

I'm a little hazy on this so don't take the following as gospel, but it might be of some help...

Guideplus is a subscription service paid for by the manufacturers. Now we are switching the country to digital TV then Guideplus is less relevant. The alternative service is the standard Digital EPG. Panasonic still use Guideplus on their TVs, and there's a lot of grumbling from Pana TV owners about how ugly it looks and the presence of adverts, but that's a different discussion.

In the analogue TV world you need to get ITV-1 in order to pick up the data stream for Guideplus. This could be why you no longer receive it. (check analogue aerial connection). After DSO then that will no longer be possible.

If (and it is 'if') the TV or recorder are enabled for Guideplus on their digital channels then I think you need to get Bid Up TV to get the data stream.

I read it that TV's and recoders that use Guideplus have a menu setting to select between it and Digital EPG. I don't know if that's the situation in your case but it's worth a shot.

Sponsored Links
Thank you Chris. I have done a reset and we were already on EPG Guide Digital so I have gone back to Guide Plus. I thin I have got it back but won't know for 24 hours when the channels should appear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back