E BAY QUESTION

B

B.O.B DOLE

I sold an item on ebay about 3 weeks ago now and the other person is saying they have not recieved the item and is asking for a refund.
I did send the item so who is liable me, the postoffice or him not taking out insurance i have the receite of profe of posting is it up to him to chase
it up or me.
whats stopping him saying he has not recieved the goods anyone can say that.

Sponsored Links
The good news is, its not you.

If the item was sold with recorded or registered post, then he should get onto the Post Office (or you could, you were feeling helpful)

If it was just normal post, then scanning and showing him the proof of purchase is as much as you can do. You may get some 'neg' but you can put your side of it too...

This happened to me a while back. Now everything I post that's worth more than a few quid gets sent recorded or special delivery.

Like johnny_t says, you could send him the proof of posting receipt if you sent it bog standard mail......although this won't tell him that what was posted or where to. If you sent it recorded or special delivery then it's down to you to chase it up with the post office not him.

Cheers,
Gcol

My local PO prints out the proof of posting, even for ordinary mail, with house number and postcode, so you can at least prove you sent something. And as long as the person claiming that their parcel is lost didn't receive a jiffy bag full of old newspapers or similar at around that time, you're in the clear.

How big is their feedback score. If its high, they are going to be unwilling to diss you too much, in case you destroy theirs.

Sponsored Links
I've heard of people doing this as a scam. Claiming they haven't received the goods, and then demanding a refund.

It is possible it got lost in the post, my mum posted me an advent calendar that got lost once. So it could be a genuine mistake.

More likely to be a scam though!

B.O.B DOLE said:
I sold an item on ebay about 3 weeks ago now and the other person is saying they have not recieved the item and is asking for a refund.
I did send the item so who is liable me, the postoffice or him not taking out insurance i have the receite of profe of posting is it up to him to chase
it up or me.

Simple how would you like it to be dealt with, if it happened to you!

well then

pay him back you know you never sent it :eek:

did you send it did you huh

shame on ebay scammers ( are you one )

if you got paid by paypal he will get his money back i can guarantee that
if not then your the one who is the driving seat get rdy for neg feedback

i can honestly say i sent it , it was a sky box i posted it via parcel delivery
i have a ticket from the post office of prof of sending how do i know he has not recieved it if i send him a copy should he chase it up .
been to the post office and they sais he should have had it by now and they gave me a claims form what should i do

how did he pay you for it paypal/cheque/etc

make the claim with the posty dont know how you can thought as it isnt a reg or insured

let the ebayer know what your doing and send him the copy of proof of postage

if all fails and he still wants his cash back then you have to weigh the difference up IE neg feedback vs being out of pocket

take a look at this http://www.justclaim.co.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?t=691&

The person who should do the checking for delivery must be the sender. He has the contract with the carrier.

if you have proof of postage, let the po take responsibility. \i doubt very much it has not been received because the same happened to a friend of mine with a ps2 and I know he sent the item. Id tell him to knackers and put up with the negative especially if your other feedback is good. At least you can reply to his negative comment buyers will make their own minds up.

This is remarkably straighforward...

B.O.B DOLE said:
it up or me.
You are liable for ensuring safe delivery of the item, because the buyer's contract is with you.

However, you also have a contract with the Royal Mail to deliver the item, and, since you had the foresight to obtain proof of posting, you can apply for compensation. There are express contractual terms that apply to your application, for example:

1. There is a minimum waiting period before the RM will consider the item to have been lost.
2. You have to complete a form and sign it - the form is available on-line.
3. Unless you elected to take out optional insurance, the maximum compensation payable for standard post is £30. If your item (including postage) was worth more than £30, you will be out of pocket.

Note that you don't have to use registered or recorded post in order to be eligable for compensation. All of the above information is available on the Royal Mail web site.

B.O.B DOLE said:
Nothing, and nobody, can stop the buyer from lying. Your only mitigation of that risk is to read the buyer's feedback carefully, and to take out insurance to the value of the item.

When this has happened to me as an honest buyer, the seller requested that I wait for them to receive compensation before sending me a replacement item. I said that I was content to wait, and the process then took about three weeks, and I received my item in the end.

If the goods were costly then the buyer should have taken recorded delivery as offered by Bob Dole.

All my stuff is sent recorded delivery (normally only a few pounds). If it's worth a few Bob! then they HAVE to pay insurance.

I agree read his feedback, and judge from there. Whats his username?

Bazdaa said:
If the goods were costly then the buyer should have taken recorded delivery as offered by Bob Dole.
I agree that, if Bob Dole offered insurance and expressly said that the offer absolved him from the responsibility for safe delivery, then the buyer is liable. However, Bob Dole has not said that he offered insurance.

In the absence of a clear and express term being published before the close of auction, the seller must ensure delivery in order to fulfil his part of the contract. How anyone can think any different defies all reason - I suspect it's wishful thinking at its most blatent.

Bazdaa said:
Whats his username?
What the f*** has that got to do with anything?

Sponsored Links
Back