Earth bonding question.........

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm currently wiring a shower room to be fitted with the following electrical items.

2x shower lights from here:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLSL100.html

One will be fitted above the shower in zone 2,the other is in a safe zone.

Power shower pump in the loft,fed from an RCD spur outside of the room.

In line shower fan/fused spur outside of the room.

Being as both the lights and fan are double insulated,and the shower pump is in the loft,do I have to run my earth bonding to either of the CPC's in the spurs?

Regards,
Paul.

Sponsored Links
You should run an earth connection to the earth terminals in the mounting boxes - if you are using CE marked mounting boxes, they will have an earthing terminal in the back, just for this purpose.

quickie said:
Power shower pump in the loft,fed from an RCD spur outside of the room.
In the loft??

Where is your cold water tank?

Where is your hot water cylinder?

The pump is to be fitted in the loft space in a ground floor extension.

Cold water storage tank in the main loft.....hot water cylinder in airing cupboard upstairs.

Paul.

Sponsored Links
How far from the HWC to the pump? And is it below or on the same level as the outlet?

Pumps like to push, not pull, water, so should be as close as possible to the HWC, and should certainly not be above the cylinder.

Hi,
I would guess the HW tank is around 20 ft from where the plumber plans to put the pump.

The pump will be below the level of the cylinder.

I'm only doing the electrics,not the plumbing,so I presume the guy knows what he's doing.

Any comments on the earthing question?

Paul.

ooops :oops:

You need to bond to the cpc of the circuit supplying the fan/light, as that device is insde the bathroom.

But as the shower pump is not inside the bathroom you do not need to bond to its cpc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back