Earth Bonding - RGI Responsible

S

Simonbeasley1

Can you please advise who is responsible for earth bonding. If installing a combi boiler does the RGI have to earth the meter and mains cold stopcock as part of the installation? or just advise client it needs attention and leave the ball in their court?

also wheres the best place to get Gas Safe stationary/forms from etc?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
are you asking as an installer or a customer?

as an installer I take care of everything for my customers (electrics inc.)
some RGI's have no electrical qualifications and rely on others to wire up etc.

there is no obligation on the installer to earth, just to ensure you are aware of the need for it.

as often said you get what you ask for and what you pay for.

An understanding of earthing would help to answer this question.

Earthing the incoming water and gas pipes is an additional earth path to the main earthing, normally provided by the electricity supplier (except on a TT system) Main equipotential bonding should be carried out by the electrician, to ensure the earth fault loop is satisfactory.

The gas installation has nothing to do with the electrical installation therefore the electrical bonding should be carried out by a qualified electrician and the gas work by a qualified gas engineer

Gas safe are not issuing any stationery except downloads?

Sponsored Links
According to BS7671 Explained

"It is not generally required to supplementary bond the following :

kitchen pipes, sinks, draining boards, metallic kitchen furniture, boiler pipes, metallic parts supplied by plastic pipes or metal pipes to hand basins or wc's ( excluding metal waste pipes in contact with earth )."

If the main bonding isn't done as a gas fitter your duty is to inform the customer, preferably leaving paperwork and a label to cover yourself but if you simply wrote on the bottom of the bill something to the effect "as I informed you the main equipotential bonding does not appear to me to be right but it is beyond the scope of my trade. I strongly recommend you have this confirmed by a competent person.

got told by a spark and the corgi man that at you dont need to earth every pipe under the boiler, only in wet rooms and airing cupboards

CORGI used to consider it "good practice" to bond pipes under a boiler and would include it on a defects list on a Notice.

There is no requirement to bond pipes under a boiler although I think this is virtually essential on boilers with plastic blocks which do not provide electrical continuity through the boiler.

The earth bond on the gas supply pipe is required by law and if not present or being fitted at the same time as a new boiler the customer should be advised in writing that its not present and must be added.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back