Earth Bonding under boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I hope you can help me with a query I have.
I bought a flat 3 years ago to rent out, and having exchanged found out the boiler was shot to bits.
I replaced the boiler system to an Alpha HE CB25/33, had a landlord certificate and rented the flat out.
Over the past 3 years I have yearly had an inspection and landlord certificate - and again rented the flat out.

I have just had a company in to do this years service and certificate and have been told that there is a fault/remedial work required - which is : there is currently no earth bonding within 600mm of the meter outlet.

My question is - is this a problem that legally needs fixing?
How come i have never had this raised before in the past?
Do i have any comeback with the company that installed the system?

Kind regards

Sponsored Links
The installer of your heating system is not obliged to supply bonding at the meter, thats down to your electrician. The installer of your heating system is obliged to provide supplementary bonding at the boiler and can notify you that there is no bonding at the meter. Personally I would have advised you on install but it`s not down to the heating installer. Yes, it needs to be sorted immediately by your electrician.

They have correctly informed you that your electrical installation, may not have the correct main equipotential bonding cables installed.

See BS7671:2008 or contact a competent electrician.[/i]

Slight correction needed.
Main Equipotential Bonding is always required, normally a 10mm2 cable from less than 600 mm from the meter/stopcock on incoming gas and water pipes to the Main Earth Terminal, and a RGI is required to notify you if this is missing. As this is part of the electrical installation, he is not required to remedy the fault, and unless he is also a qualified electrical installer, he is not even supposed to do it.
No supplementary bonding under a boiler is required, it has nothing to do with the boiler.
Supplementary bonding can be required in certain locations, i.e. bathrooms, but that is also an electrician's job and should not be done by an RGI, but a qualified electrical installer.

Sponsored Links
As for the legal requirement to get it installed, that is slightly more complicated to answer.
On the one hand the landlord has an obligation to keep the premises in a safe condition; not having Main Equipotential Bonding is considered a serious fault.
At the same time, contrary to the gas side where a LGSR is required every year, for electricity no inspection is compulsory.
Lack of bonding, whether main- or supplementary, only creates a problem under specific fault conditions. Bit of a long story about the exact what, how and when, but the bottom line is that when a electrical cable comes loose and touches a gas or water pipe, and there is no proper bonding, the fuse will not blow, and all metal pipes and appliances can become live.
Quite rare, but it does happen, and if it does, you go down for GBH or manslaughter.

As it is normally not an expensive job to get the bonding sorted, I would suggest you get it sorted, even though it is not legally enforceable.

The last time I rang Corgi/gas safe they informed me that as the installer it was down to me to ensure that all new pipework to boiler had to be bonded and down to me. I imagine it`s the same as fitting a new bathroom, I earth all my pipes as part of job, if they are not earthed at eleccy meter, not down to me. No-one gets a shock in my bathroom......

until they get the bill.

so unless your conversant with the now 17th how do you know what size cable to select if you do all your own bonding.

Supplementary bonding comes under part P but unless its in a bathroom your wasting your time, main bonding is exempt from part p.

From memory MEB is a legal requiremnt of the electricity at work act and should be up to the requirements of the 17th edition(non legal document) prior to any electrical work being under taken.

Its removal and non reinstatement or its general missing is in contravention to that act.

so unless your conversant with the now 17th how do you know what size cable to select if you do all your own bonding.

Because the spark I employ tells me. Same as he fits the fused spur.

Supplementary bonding comes under part P but unless its in a bathroom your wasting your time, main bonding is exempt from part p.

Don`t tell me, tell Gas safe/ my spark that they don`t know their jobs. Gas is mah thang. ;) and I always cover my ass.

in which case i would sugest your spark doesnt quite understand the regs or is overcharging you cos you dont know them. ;)

We all know gas safe dont know their job,they cant maintain a register what chance of they got with wiring.

The last time I rang Corgi/gas safe they informed me that as the installer it was down to me to ensure that all new pipework to boiler had to be bonded

You have to ENSURE it is done, that is not the same as doing it; a landlord has to ensure that the gasintallation is safe by hiring a qualified engineer to check it over.

You ensure it is done by informing the owner that he needs to get an electrician to correct electrical faults.

come on ben give us your view on bonding under boilers. :LOL:

come on ben give us your view on bonding under boilers. :LOL:
Bonding under boilers?
Does that come under male bonding?

Unless I missed something with the 17th edition changes, no bonding is mentioned in bs7671 in relation to boilers.

Having said that, from a personal point of view, I like good, solid bonding cables, main as well as supplementary anywhere near water. Having the stainless steel sink, all the copper pipes, connected with a 4mm2 cable and linking it to available cpc's, does wonders for my peace of mind; compulsory or not. Dito for metal bits in the bathroom.

As for supplementary bonding, I doubt if much more than 1% of properties have it up to spec.

Bonding of kitchen sinks and taps used to be in the 15th,and was removed from the 16th(first one being yellow edition if my memory serves) onwards

in which case i would sugest your spark doesnt quite understand the regs or is overcharging you cos you dont know them. ;)

Not my job to know spark regs.

We all know gas safe dont know their job,they cant maintain a register what chance of they got with wiring.

Until you are the one printing off my badge, think I`ll go with their instructions, or should we all just register with you? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back