Earth Bonding under boiler

Go on then, i like GSR promise, if you send me £200 i wont send you back an ID card. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Main or as it is now 'protective equipotential bonding' is required to be connected to central heating and air conditioning systems (and others) as well as the gas and water pipes. reg 411.3.1.2

Supplementary bonding in a bath/shower room may be omitted if the installation meets reg 411.3.1.2. and reg701.411.3.3. (rcds)

Connection to the gas meter outlet pipe shall be within 600mm or at the point of entry to the building if the meter is external. reg 544.1.2

Bonding of kitchen sinks and taps used to be in the 15th,and was removed from the 16th(first one being yellow edition if my memory serves) onwards
That's why I said: compulsory or not. Especially on systems without a rcd, I find it really reassuring to know that whatever happens, any metal part is guaranteed not to be carrying any voltage. What does it take? 15 minutes and a couple of quid in materials.
What can I say, I am neither a hero, nor a masochist; I do not enjoy shocks.

Sponsored Links
has anyone mentioned that some boilers incorporate earth bonding into the jig/standoff bracket?

as the bracket is metal and when connected to the pipework gives a low impedance between the pipes it acts the same as strapping 4mm across them.

has anyone mentioned that some boilers incorporate earth bonding into the jig/standoff bracket?

No, didn`t know that, how does that work then?
Jig of WB for instance connects the pipes by means of the metal bracket used for pre-piping if you want to call it that. 0 Ohms if you measure between any of them. The cpc of the mains connection is also linked to the boiler casing.

Main or as it is now 'protective equipotential bonding' is required to be connected to central heating and air conditioning systems (and others) as well as the gas and water pipes. reg 411.3.1.2

I read that as pertaining to the casings; ...extraneous conductive parts... etc.

Jig of WB for instance connects the pipes by means of the metal bracket used for pre-piping if you want to call it that. 0 Ohms if you measure between any of them. The cpc of the mains connection is also linked to the boiler casing.

Wow, that`s super, all them damn boilers I have installed without testing the jig with my multimeter, Damn it!

Wow, that`s super, all them damn boilers I have installed without testing the jig with my multimeter, Damn it!
Would have done little good, you need a multifunction meter for that as you have to measure to 10 mOhms accurate. And technically speaking, impedance at 50Hz rather than resistance; not that that would make a lot of difference on thick, straight single-core cables or a jig.

Would have done little good, you need a multifunction meter for that as you have to measure to 10 mOhms accurate. And technically speaking, impedance at 50Hz rather than resistance; not that that would make a lot of difference on thick, straight single-core cables or a jig.

Multifunction meter, yeah, will get one, they sell them at this great website I have found ``howgullibledoyuthinkiam.co.uk`` try it, it`s brill.

There is no requirement in the 17th to have to bond under a boiler, only at the point of entry of the building for the gas pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back