Earth continuity fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, Recently had a new CU installed and as part of the inspection the electrician noticed that one of the two spotlight bar fittings in the kitchen, although it has an earth wire present and connected, it is not connected to earth when tested. This light is on a separate switch to the other light. The switch also has a connect earth wire that is also not connected to earth when tested. The recommendation was to fit a double insulated fitting which would be ok, however I would prefer to sort the problem and be able to choose any fitting. The wiring is hidden as the end of the kitchen is a single storey extension but there is a wire running from under the floor upstairs running in that direction. How could i confirm that this is the relevant wire? If that is the wire, could i then stick in a junction box and pick up an earth from the other fitting which I can access? Are there any other alternative ideas? Cheers

Sponsored Links
Seems strange that you didn't get it fixed when/as part of replacing the Consumer Unit.

Assuming that the rest of the lighting circuit is properly earthed back to the consumer unit then you need to find the nearest ceiling rose on that circuit that has a functioning earth and run new cable between it and the earthless spotlight.
If I read your post correctly one of the two kitchen spotlights has a functioning earth - in which case run the new earth cable from that light to the earthless one.
You will then need to check that there is earth continuity between all the lights and swtiches.

It could be just an unconnected/loose/broken cpc (earth wire) at the light (or whatever) from which the supply was taken to the new kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back