Earth grounding cable

Thanks and which tradesmen would do this? I couldn't work out from anywhere if it would be electrician/gas/building work due to drilling

Sponsored Links
Actually there may be a water pipe as my water meter is a couple of meters ahead of the electric box (not pictured)

How does one "bond" a damp and therefore electrically conductive stone wall and/or floor to the internal CPC of a building ?
With considerable difficulty. However, this discussion is about BS7671 regulations relating to main bonding, which are silent on that issue, and essentially only talk about 'explicit' extraneous-c-ps- primarily metal pipes and structural metal which enter the interior of the building.

Kind Regards, John

There are two initial choices. Run it outside or inside. I suspect it was done externally so as to avoid damaging the decoration inside.
Agreed. Even accepting the decision to attach the bonding outside, the cable could have gone through the wall nearby, and found its way to the MET within the building - so one imagines that the only reason it has been left as an outdoor eyesore is based on considerations of 'convenience' (including disruption of decoration etc.).
So that leaves burial, assuming there are no gas, water or waste pipes or electrical cables in the way.
Indeed.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Even accepting the decision to attach the bonding outside,
It's far from rare.

the cable could have gone through the wall nearby, and found its way to the MET within the building
No doubt it does when nearer the MET. Indeed, it must do.

- so one imagines that the only reason it has been left as an outdoor eyesore is based on considerations of 'convenience' (including disruption of decoration etc.).
Yes, I would say the conduit is far more of an eyesore than would be the cable clipped to the wall and painted.

I am not sure why you are making an issue of it.
I keep getting the impression you have made another discovery that no one has ever thought of before.

It's far from rare.
Indeed not.
Yes, I would say the conduit is far more of an eyesore than would be the cable clipped to the wall and painted.
Agreed. Even not painted would probably be better than the white conduit. ... or, as has been said, buried.
I am not sure why you are making an issue of it. I keep getting the impression you have made another discovery that no one has ever thought of before.
I'm not really making an issue of it, and nor have I discovered anything new.

I suppose I have really just been reminding people how very badly worded is 544.1.2 (even after some past 'improvements'). Yes, one can argue that most of what may initially be thought of anomalies are negated by the first sentence, which effectively indicates that everything in the reg only applies to things which are extraneous-c-ps. However, it's not surprising that many people get confused (or 'misread') since it then goes to talk about the bonding of things which may well not be extraneous-c-ps (pipework on the consumer's side of something which may well be electrically insulating).

Kind Regards, John

And which tradesmen would bury this cable as the part below my door is concrete so it would need drilling

And which tradesmen would bury this cable as the part below my door is concrete so it would need drilling
It would be aesthetically reasonable if the cable run across the door remained in white conduit (against the white doorstep, but with the rest buried - it's the white conduit against the brick wall (and grass) which looks so awful.

Indeed, even if you kept the conduit you could make it look a lot better simply by painting the conduit an appropriate colour (everywhere other than where it goes across the step).

Kind Regards, John

It should be painted anyway as white plastic conduit is not UV resistant.

It should be painted anyway as white plastic conduit is not UV resistant.
Given that it's unnecessary in the first place, I don't think whether or not it is UV-resistant is of the slightest relevance. However, it would certainly look better if not white (almost any other colour would probably be better!) - indeed, even a bit better when discoloured as a result of exposure to UV!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back