Earth Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, just a question,

I have been replacing a few sockets and switches in my house and I noticed that the earth is connected to the metal back boxes on switches, but on sockets the earth is connected to the socket, with the earth terminal on back box empty

Just want to know why cheers

Sponsored Links
Plastic light switches, no earth terminals on the light switches.

Oh yeah... :oops:

I have a few metal switches (only two in the house) and I know these have earth terminals,

Is it bad practice to split earth conductors when using metal switches? or should you be adding your own earth (sleeved) from switch to original earth in metal back box - I assume this is the correct way, thanks

Sponsored Links
Not sure what you mean by splitting the conductor - if the earth is stranded, then don't split it.

So long as the faceplace connects to a buried metal back-box with a fixed lug and a metal screw, it is not necessary to use a flylead - but no harm in doing so. Some will say it is better, and I wouldn't argue.

Intrigued as to what you call 'split' earth conductors !!!

Ideally CPCs should be sleeved separately, but not at all essential. Just makes it easier during maintenance and when testing, and far less likely to snap if it's necessary to separate them.

Metal switches (or anything else for that matter) need to be 'earthed'. Echoes is correct about the fixed lug, but I feel better if the CPC is looped into the metal switch (earth term), then a short 'jumper to the back box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back