Earthing a secondary CCU

G

george765

I am running 16mm T+E from my house CU (50A mcb) to a second CU in garage extension.
I've been advised that I could have extended the house wiring as the garage is an extension to the house, but I thought, for convenience I would put in a second CU.
Will the earth in the 16mm T+E be enough for the second CCU or do I need a seperate earth cabe ?

Sponsored Links
In any case, it's a poor choice of cable for a submain.[/quote]

Why ?

In any case, it's a poor choice of cable for a submain.

Why ?[/quote]

Zero mechanical protection and earth not suitable since its a 4mm. TNS / TNCS requires 16mm.

So if you'd used 3 core 16mm SWA you wouldn't have to be running a seperate earth cable.

Sponsored Links
doesn't need mechanical protection, the rest of the T+E in the house is ok so why not one more circuit?

it's not like it's running outside, it's a garage extenstion..

Chri5 wrote:
TNS / TNCS requires 16mm.

Where does it say that?

Table 54-7 minimum cross sectional area. A 16-35mm line conductor requires a 16mm protective conductor

:?:

Accepted comment of SWA, but it would have saved running 2 x cables (1 x earth + the TE)

Only if you can't fulfill the obligation of 543.1.3, which in most situations* you can.

If we always had to adhere to Table 54.7, T&E would be long gone by now.

* you may struggle if you're right next to a substation and have a very low Ze value, for example. Even so, the limiting let-through of the DNO's 100A cut-out should be no problem for a 16mm cable. Might get a tad warm though ;)

that's the cookie cutter advice..
not relavent to T+E which is / was designed to comply with the adiabatic..

mfarrow";p="1468097 said:
Only if you can't fulfill the obligation of 543.1.3, which in most situations* you can.

Could you explain this please ?

Assuming we have nothing more than a 100A BS1361 cutout, the I²t value total at 240V is 57,300 A²s (Busman data). So even if we have a fault close to the supply origin, the minimum size of protective conductor we require shall be

S = sqrt (57,300) / 100 = 0.75mm²

So we're compliant. Note this does not take into account thermal effects, but if I had a short circuit supplying that much energy at the origin of my installation, that's the last thing I'd be worrying about.

So, just to confirm, my 4mm earth conductor in the T+E is suffient ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back