Earthing Cables

R

ryanj

I was just thinking, if an earthing cable needs to come out of the wall to a pipe (for example main bonding), how is this done?

Should something like a flex outlet plate be used? I just, let the cable come straight out of the plaster, looks a little dodgy.

Sponsored Links
Use a Blanking plastic plate - if you look closely, you will see a round knock out panel in the centre of plastic blanking plates - that's for earth cables to run through.

No need for outlet plates, very often looks neater if the cable comes directly out.

The hole isn't just for earth cables ;) And not all plates have this knockout :confused:

Sponsored Links
I would have thought that the end of a bit of conduit sticking out of the wall would look worse than just a wire.

Neatest solution would be a flex outlet plate.

Just plaster round it man, and have done! Don't ponce around with needless blank plates/flex outlets. Waste of time!!

OK. This may seem kind of dumb - but here goes in any case. A friend of a friend is a "sparky" (I know sounding bad already and I don't know the friends friend) put a 10mm earth wire bonding on an old property gas pipe by the gas meter. Its got the strap/clamp on the pipe and the cable is fixed to it. The cable goes into the wall yet I can't see the cable coming out the other side of the wall inside the property. Of course my friend can no longer reach this "sparky" (his friend) - Is it possible for the cable to be terminated in the brick? {heavy sigh} £200 down here possibly. Tnx. D.

The cable should go to the Main Earthing Terminal.

This is either a bare metal block by the incoming suppy, OR

one of the terminals in the consumer unit.

The cable should go to the Main Earthing Terminal.

This is either a bare metal block by the incoming suppy, OR

one of the terminals in the consumer unit.
Mmmm..... OK, I can't find the cable coming in. I'm wondering if he has poked it in the hole to make it look like its connected.

Why don't you just tug the cable? if ti goes through the wall and on to somewhere, you shouldn't be able to pull it out.

£200 however is probably more than you needed to pay.

A few years ago a mate was having an EV point fitted in his garden. The gov approved firm (it- ((the EV point)) was a "free" installation) insisted that his water stop cock (at the back of the house) be bonded to the gas supply at the front of the house. From memory, they wanted to charge him £600 to run the earth cable on top of the existing skirting board.

I spoke to a friend who is an electrician. He assured me that I was legally allowed to run the cable and clamp it at both ends. I took the skirting off, and some architraves, drilled through the underside of the stair windings, then made good. The total cost, inclusive of materials and touching up was about £200. No surface mount cable anywhere.

Mmmm..... OK, I can't find the cable coming in. I'm wondering if he has poked it in the hole to make it look like its connected.
Could he have fished the cable in a cavity, so the cable emerges from somewhere else?

Electricians do (or did) this all the time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back