earthing conundrum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of my bungalow renovation, I am splitting what was a large extension utility room into two

There will be a utility room and a bathroom seperated by a plasterboard wall with a door in it

In the utility room will be the new combi boiler, washing machine and tumble drier

The gas and mains water enter the building in this room so will be seperately earthed back to the CU and the boiler will be cross bonded. The controls for the bathroom extractor fan and waterproof low voltage lights will also be in the utility room

What should I do with the bathroom earthing as it was originally part of the same extension and is as I said, only seperated by a plasterboard wall.

Is it really neccesary / legally required ?

If so, my understanding is that all pipes cold hot and central heating should be connected together and one earth cable taken to the nearest
lighting earth which will be outside of the plasterboard wall. Is this correct ?

Sponsored Links
30 views - no answers

did I answer the question myself ?

or is there a fatal flaw with my thought process ?

swelec said:
What should I do with the bathroom earthing as it was originally part of the same extension and is as I said, only seperated by a plasterboard wall.

Is it really neccesary / legally required ?

Yes it is really necessary, no it is not legally required

If so, my understanding is that all pipes cold hot and central heating should be connected together and one earth cable taken to the nearest
lighting earth

Correct.

which will be outside of the plasterboard wall

Do you not have a ceiling light, wall lights or shaver socket in this room? If you do, connect the bonding to the earth terminal for one of these.

--
Michael

thanks fubar

will be using 12v lighting overhead only

cannot abide electric shavers

I always wet shave

its not too difficult to run the earth outside of the stud wall

it seems a bit belts and braces but there you go - I am even running a shower off the combi - am putting an electric one in the new en suite

the only voltage in the bathroom will be 12V for the lights

Sponsored Links
Shaver sockets often used for rechargeable toothbrushes.

Interesting question, should pipework in a bathroom which has no electricity still be bonded? Possibly, if the reasoning is to prevent shocks should the pipe become live outside the bathroom. if there is no earthed electrical equipment in the room, then logically it is not possible to connect it to the overall supplementary bonding. 12V light fittings would presumably not be earthed...as this would reduce their safety.

Damocles said:
Interesting question, should pipework in a bathroom which has no electricity still be bonded? Possibly, if the reasoning is to prevent shocks should the pipe become live outside the bathroom. if there is no earthed electrical equipment in the room, then logically it is not possible to connect it to the overall supplementary bonding. 12V light fittings would presumably not be earthed...as this would reduce their safety.

The main purpose of supplimentary bonding is to ensure that all exposed conductive parts in a bathroom are at the same potential, so you can't get a shock from touching two different parts at the same time. This you should do.

I agree regarding bonding to your ELV light fittings.

It is debatable whether it is safer to connect your supplimentary bonding to the cpc of a circuit outside the bathroom or safer to not connect your supplimentary bonding to a cpc. I'd probably opt for the later but make sure that the bonding elsewhere is up to scratch.

--
Michael

it is interesting because there is no earth bonding that I have seen in our bathroom (which has no electricity apart from recessed lighting). I wonder if I should install some quickly as the kitchen underneath is undergoing some work and an earth back to the CU (or incoming cold main is on the way too) would be easy to run at this moment in time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back