Earthing for Shed - disconnect house earth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am about to reconnect a friend's shed with a new waterproof MK consumer unit, as it just had SWA coming straight into white sockets before!
I will be using a 40A 30ma switch and then 6am for lighting and 16 for sockets.

Originally it was connected via the house earth - can I ask:
Shouldn't I disconnect the house earth at the outside socket it runs from (so the socket is still earthed but not the SWA extension) and then in the shed run an earth cable to a rod?
I was told not to use the house earth foer a shed - run od |SWA about 30 m I guess!

Thanks for help anyone, much apporeciated|!

Russ[/b]

Sponsored Links
You can use the earth form the house, no need to put a rod in at the shed. and make sure that the SWA armouring is earthed.

That is of course unless there any any extraneous-conductive-parts in the shed. in which case either convert it to a TT supply or run a suitably sized bonding conductor from the MET to the extraneous-conductive-parts

the shed hasn't got a metal water pipe or gas pipe, has it?

Sponsored Links
There's nothing wrong with having SWA straight into a socket outlet if the cable is terminated properly. The lights can be fused down by an FCU. There's no specific need for a consumer unit.

No, there are no pipes, etc in the shed at all.

So, am I understanding you all correctly - you're saying that I can connect both the SWA protective sheathing and the earth cable into the earht connector in the outside socket and have the shed earhted through the shed?

If so, do I need to change my own shed -I have the SWA sheathing connected to the house earth but not the earth wire -that is connected via an earth rod outside the shed. This was done following asdvice from a friend who is an electrician, but maybe he has advised badly??

BSBS - can I just check - when you say TT, dooes this refert o the earth rod type of earhting?

And by connecting to MET - although I don't have pipes, just out of interest, do you mean earth bonding pipes to the mini consumer unit earth terminal?

In answer to suggestion about just using afused switch, yes I could, but feel happier giving the friend a proper mini CU and running lighting and sockets seperately - just feels like a better job. Assume 16A will be sufficient for one or two twin sockets in the shed, or oughI go to 20A??

Thanks again...

You say the shed is fed from an outside socket, does the shed have its own circuit or is it run as a spur from the outrside socket? If its a spur you cant install the mini cu and is probably why the SWA terminated into a socket in the first place. We need more info on the current supply to the shed and where it comes from, size of the swa etc... also pictures would be useful too.

The SWa is 2.5mm, and yes the SWA comes from an external socket fed from the main house CU, so is effectively a spur I guess.

Are you saying this can't have a consumer unit at the end of the spur, as this is what my own sheds have - a radial from CU, which then has an external socket which also then connewcts to the SWA and sheds. Both of these sheds then have own CU inside them!

as this is what my own sheds have - a radial from CU,

You have not got a radial from the CU.
That is what you should have - a separate fuse protecting the SWA to the shed. Is there a spare way on the CU?

You have got a spur that runs from the ring final. What is the CPD on that circuit?

Is there anythuing else on the circuit that the outside socket is fed from or does it have its own breaker on the house CU or is it part of the downstairs socket circuit, as Taylor has already asked what rating is the MCB protecting the circuit?

A whole load of questions which show beyond any doubt that he doesn't know enough to be doing this work, that his friend is daft to ask him to, that he is irresponsible to agree to do it, that he is unaware of the legal ramifications and that he's probably not got a clue about testing, let alone planning to do any.

Have called friend and from what he describes, I feel the outside socket must be taken as a spur already from a downstairs ring. Surely it isn't allowed for the SWA and shed to be running of this socket is it - surely that's too much to run of a spur in the first place? I thought you could only run one socket on a single spur!

This work was done about a year ago by his builders, so do I need to suggest he gets them back to face the music about a dogey job, or was the fact that they din't use a mini CU and just ran SWA directly into a socket and then a fused spur for the lighting the saving grace and this made it safe?? Seems unlikely to me!

Thanks again all

In reply to ban-all-sheds...I appreciate your view, but having worked on electrics for a long time I feel competent to do the job, but have found such contradictory advice with regards to sheds and earhting, etc, that I thought it wise to check. Still would appreciate a definiteive on the earhting too!

OH, and the MCB that feeds the socket is rated at 20A, which I feel ought to be 32A if it has a ring main in the house.

If there is a spare space fora new MCB, would rather run new radial dedicated for the shed, but still need to know whether to terminate the earth at the outside of building and use rod for shed, or continue house earth to the shed?

Surely it isn't allowed for the SWA and shed to be running of this socket is it - surely that's too much to run of a spur in the first place? I thought you could only run one socket on a single spur!
No, it isn't right, but you were going to make it worse - you were going to put a CU on the shed end.

This work was done about a year ago by his builders, so do I need to suggest he gets them back to face the music about a dogey job, or was the fact that they din't use a mini CU and just ran SWA directly into a socket and then a fused spur for the lighting the saving grace and this made it safe?? Seems unlikely to me!
So it seems unlikely to you that an unfused spur supplying a socket and then a fused spur for lights would be safe, but an unfused spur supplying several sockets and lights via a mini CU would be safe?

FFS - you just don't realise how dangerous and incompetent you are, do you, and therefore how stupid you would be to carry on.

In reply to ban-all-sheds...I appreciate your view, but having worked on electrics for a long time I feel competent to do the job,
A long time?

Clearly not long enough to have learnt the design aspects of exporting an earth and extending the equipotential zone.

Clearly not long enough to have learnt the first thing about safe circuit design.

Clearly not long enough to have learnt what TT means.

Clearly not long enough to know what a main earth terminal is.

but have found such contradictory advice with regards to sheds and earhting, etc, that I thought it wise to check. Still would appreciate a definiteive on the earhting too!
No - you thought that all you needed to find out about was the earthing issue. In reality you need to find out a great deal more - you have no comprehension of how little you know.

The thing is, installing new CUs, outside supplies, submains etc is not a trivial job, and I can assure you that it involves knowing far more than you think it does.

Asking questions here can be a useful part of a learning process, but they are not a substitute for proper structured studying. The key term there is "learning process" - you cannot learn all the things you need to know just by asking questions here. It isn't structured enough - it won't provide you with a way to progress where each step builds on what you learned before.

You can't carry out a job of this magnitude by asking whatever random questions happen to occur to you. You've already shown that you have some dodgy misconceptions - what if you get something wrong because you have no idea your knowledge is wrong? What if you miss something because you simply have no idea it even exists, and just don't realise you don't know it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back