Earthing Issue

crafty1289 said:
Putting an earth rod in and connecting it to a TNCS or TNS earth can cause problems because there can sometimes be a voltage on a TNCS earth, in other words, TNCS, whilst being protective earth, is sometimes not actually at true earth voltage. Connecting this to a true earth could cause a current to flow. I think thats about right anyway!!!
it could cause a current to flow but as long as the earth rod is connected with suitable size cable this shouldn't be a problem just as it isn't a problem with the main bonds.

Sponsored Links
Indeed, plug

The Commentary on the IEE Wiring Regulations includes, much more detailed and practical advice including advice prepared at the request of the DTI on further precautions that can be taken to reduce the risk associated with PME supplies. The UK National Committee considered this matter and recommend an earth electrode is connected to the main PME earthing terminal. This is a very practical solution. The Commentary on BS 7671 amongst its comprehensive advice provides specific guidance as to how the maximum earth electrode resistance can he calculated for particular installations e.g. house, swimming pool, farm etc. This approach provides the reliability and security of a PME supply whilst protecting against the loss of PEN continuity (however unlikely an event this may be).

crafty1289 said:
What is that switch for right in the middle? Where do its wires go?

That is a one way CU supplying sockets in the living room via a radial circuit.

quote]
it could cause a current to flow but as long as the earth rod is connected with suitable size cable this shouldn't be a problem just as it isn't a problem with the main bonds.[/quote]

I assume you mean 16mm earth cable?

Sponsored Links
will the supply company provide a new service head before a rewire is carried out or at least the CU replaced?

I believe it was OK to take the earth from the water mains in the old days, but it was outlawed in the 14th edition (1966) (I think)...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back