Earthing kitchen sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed my old sink which had copper pipes up to the tap and so the sink was earthed. I have a new stainless steel sink which has no where to attach an earth cable to it. Is this normal? The taps will be connect via flexi hoses but would have thought I'd still have to earth the sink? Does it need earthing? The cable is sat there with nowhere to go at the moment so if I do need to earth it whats the best way of attching it to the sink?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
you now don't need to bond the kitchen sink you used to have to but the regulations have now changed.

if the bonding is there already you could just find a screw to attach it to or just cut the cable off altogether either ways ok
:D

There is no longer a requirement to supplementary bond any items in a kitchen unless deemed necessary by the specifier.........

I have not seen, nor install supp bonding in kitchens in any rewires or new installs for years ;)

cheers guys.

Thought it odd that the old sink had somewhere to attach the earth and the new one didn't!

Sponsored Links
Excuse me for digging up this old thread, but thought it would be better replying to this one than making a new one just for a simple answer that I need.

I'm due to remove an old stainless steel kitchen sink and there is an earthing cable (green and yellow stripes) connected from the sink to goodness knows where. Will it be safe to simply cut it with a pair of plyers and tape the end of it? Sorry for my ignorance when it comes to electrics :(.

it would be better to attach it to the incoming cold water pipe (as near to the point of entry in the house as you can reach, but downstream of the main stopcock). The G&Y cable ought to be connected to your electrical supply, probably at the consumer unit or meter. Have a look and see.

You can get a bonding clamp which grips the metal pipe in any DIY shed or electrical counte, it might cost a pound or so. The idea is that if you have bonded the incoming services, there is no reason for the sink to become electrified.

p1419543_l.jpg

There is a lot more about this we can explain if you want to know. See "Similar Topics" below

Well, yes but you should make sure that there is an earth cable attached to the incoming watermain. This earth cable should go back to the earth block in your fuseboard.
The cable clamp should be located not less than 600mm from the stop cock, on the house side and before any junction.

Hi,

Appreciate your replies guys but it's not what I expected lol. Thought you were both going to say something like, no problem, just snip it and leave it as the laws for grounding sinks are no longer in effect :LOL:. However, to clarify, I'm fitting a ceramic sink and also, I have attached 2 pictures of the cable here:

One end of the cable connected to the stainless steel sink >>>

And the other end of the cable running behind the back of my new kitchen cupboard, seem to recall connected to some sort of mesh box or something, I can't remember exactly (but now, no access whatsoever without ripping out all my work)>>

But the problem is, I'm very weary where electrics are concerned. If I snip the cable, it won't leave the sink live or something will it? Or should i turn off the mains supply just to be on the safe side? If I do snip it, is it crucial for me to sort of connect it to the cold pipe below?

Any more info on this will be very much appreciated. Just please explain as simply as possible. I don't even know what a cable clamp is lol.

But the problem is, I'm very weary where electrics are concerned. If I snip the cable, it won't leave the sink live or something will it? Or shold i turn off the mains supply just to be on the safe side? If I do snip it, is it crucial for me to sort of connect it to the cold pipe below?

Any more info on this will be very much appreciated.

IF you already have equipotential bonding in place elsewhere to the incoming cold water main, then you needn't worry about this extra cable and can happily snip it.

IF you already have equipotential bonding in place elsewhere to the incoming cold water main, then you needn't worry about this extra cable and can happily snip it.

Well, I presume so, but everything is hidden and not accessible. The plumber is coming to replace the main stop cock soon so I'll ask him also to check if there is bonding elsewhere. Thanks for your reply.

There should be a 10mm² earth conductor attached to the cold water main near the stopcock. If there is not, get one fitted.

They are right, but if you don't know what the position is, and don't want to take out the units to look, or to go to the trouble of fitting a good main bond, I really think the best thing you can do is to attach the wire to the the metal cold water pipe under the sink. This has a fair chance of doing some good, but snipping it off won't.

If you look in your DIY shed electrical section, you will find an earth clamp like I pictured.

There should be a 10mm² earth conductor attached to the cold water main near the stopcock. If there is not, get one fitted.

Had a look today and have seen there is one fitted and I saw a cable connected to it too :).

They are right, but if you don't know what the position is, and don't want to take out the units to look, or to go to the trouble of fitting a good main bond, I really think the best thing you can do is to attach the wire to the the metal cold water pipe under the sink. This has a fair chance of doing some good, but snipping it off won't.

If you look in your DIY shed electrical section, you will find an earth clamp like I pictured.

Thanks JohnD, will do this. What I'll do is I'll snip it round about where it connects to the sink, and take the end and bond it to the cold water pipe below. You're right, no point in leaving it dangling. Will look out for a cable clamp. Thanks again for all your help.

Hi guys,

Took me a while but I've done some research on this topic of earth bonding. I have a much clearer understanding now of how it works.

To clarify:

In my house, main equipotential bonding exists within 600mm of the main stop cock. i have checked so no problem there. I assume this runs to the main fuse board, and to an earth bar in the consumer unit, or else they wouldn't have installed it :p.

Supplementary bonding does also exist in the kitchen. I have noticed a clamp on the gas pipe and clamp (as mentioned previously) on the sink. Therefore, the pipes will be bonded too because the sink is bonded (including the hot water pipe). But, after I take the sink out, the bonding to the sink will no longer be present; not that it needs to be because I'm fitting a ceramic sink, but I'll clamp the cable that will be cut from the sink to the cold water pipe, rather than leave it dangling.

My question now is: Doesn't the hot water pipe need to be bonded too? If so, does it have to be done like this:

And then connected from the cold water pipe to the hot water pipe as shown in the picture below?

Sorry for all the questions, hopefully this will be it now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back