Earthed dishwasher touching earthed sink - good or bad?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just about to finish refitting my kitchen, the last item going in is a built-in dishwasher which is under a worktop. The drainer end of the stainless steel sink is partly above the dishwasher.

The dishwasher has two screwholes in its metal chassis above the door, which you are supposed to screw to the worktop above it. One of the screw holes (sod's law) precisely lines up with one of the metal clips which clamp the sink onto the worktop. The clip cannot be moved, it is attached to a slot in the metal of the sink.

I need to find a way of screwing the dishwasher to something solid, so it occurred to me that since the holes line up, I could actually put the sink clip screw up through the hole in the chassis of the dishwasher and into the sink clip thereby holding that side of the dishwasher reasonably solidly.

But is this a bad thing to do? The electrician who rewired the kitchen for me has earthed the copper water pipes below the sink with 10mm2 earth wire which runs back to the CU the other side of the kitchen. The dishwasher mains socket is part of a ring which is local to the kitchen, supplied by a MCB on the half of the CU which has an RCD. The sink tap is connected to the copper pipes via flexible tails with metal braiding, so I imagine there is a fairly good earth connection between the tap and the pipes. The tap sits on a rubber O-ring which compresses as the nut is tightned, so there is a good chance there is metal to metal contact between the tap and the sink, hence I have to assume there is some sort of earth connection to the sink even if it is poor.

Given the dishwasher is also earthed through the mains connection, is letting it touch the sort-of-earthed metal sink likely to be A Bad Thing? Dangerous? Likely to cause RCD trips?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.
Fleabag

Sponsored Links
The random earth connection between sink and dishwasher will not cause the RCD to trip. The RCD will only trip if there is a fault in the dishwasher and the main earth to earth for the fault current will ( should ) go via the earth in the socket.

The only problem that it might cause is when an electrician is testing the installation and is measuring the earth impedances of the supply to the kitchen as the random earth will be a parallel connection.

On the other hand a vibrating dishwasher will, little by little and over the years dislodge the sink which could ruin your entire day.

Definitely if it were a washing machine, the dishwashers I've had have hardly vibrated at all so I'd tend not to worry about it.

Sponsored Links
I've never known any ladies to get a big "O" from sitting on a dishwaher.... :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back