Earthing Light Fitting from Ring Main?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

My house was built in the 1960's and there is no earth on the ligthing circuit.

This has not been a problem because all the light switches are plastic and so are the fittings. However I would like to wire a new fitting in the kitchen which is metal and requires an earth.

The ring main runs under the floor upstairs very near to the new fitting so it would be easy to run an earth wire to the fitting from an upstairs socket. Is this acceptable please?

Sponsored Links
I really don't think that any of the electricians here will recommend doing that.

Last edited:
Not permitted, protective conductors must be incorporated in the same wiring system as the other conductors of that circuit.

Would I do it? Plain and simple No.

The big problem would be any future work could so easily make the part of the circuit you tap into redundant and the person doing the work may never know the additional connexion was there.

Sponsored Links
Maybe not permitted by the non statuary regs but obviously a lot safer than not earthing it at all.

Not permitted, protective conductors must be incorporated in the same wiring system as the other conductors of that circuit.
Interesting that this "practice" is "not permitted" in the UK.

It is permitted in North America and Australia, the thought being that, if a Protective "Earth" is required it does not matter from where it comes, since it normally carries no current.

The wire used in Australia is the same as is used for "Equipotential Bonding".
(https://www.bunnings.com.au/olex-4mm-single-core-electrical-earth-cable-per-metre_p0121764 )
Would I do it? Plain and simple No.

The big problem would be any future work could so easily make the part of the circuit you tap into redundant and the person doing the work may never know the additional connexion was there.

Affix a suitably protected "note" at the "Consumer Unit".

Last edited:
Interesting that this "practice" in "not permitted" in the UK.

It is permitted in North America and Australia, the thought being that, if a Protective "Earth" is required it does not matter from where it comes, since it normally carries no current.
EDIT: SORRY I TOTALLY MISREAD YOUR POST My comment is based on the earth arrangement being within the L&N cable.

I don't know that it is 'not permitted' as I can think of so many situations where it simply isn't the case, the classic being TT. One of the popular methods of adding earths to systems without was to install earth cable to blocks around the property and link from there to accessories as required.

I know it's well outside the scope of DIY but running an earth bussbar in plant rooms is not uncommon and any earth requirement is simply tapped from it.

being TT.

BS7671, UK:
TT does not apply there as overcurrent protective devices are not normally the means of fault protection.
543.6.png

Australia, the thought being that, if a Protective "Earth" is required it does not matter from where it comes, since it normally carries no current.

From AS/NZS 3000:2018

5.5.2.2_ASNZS3000_2018.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back