Earthing Lighting Circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a shed and I am planning on installing a couple of lights (60watt each). I am drawing the supply from the main house.

My Questing is: Do I need to draw earth as well even though I am only installing a lighting circuit? I was thinking that Live and Neutral will do for lighting circuits - thereby using a 2 core flex?

Please help.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
only if you want to kill yourself or did you have someone in mind?

the earth is the essential part of the safety system in use on most systems also if it is to run externally then you should be using the appropriate sheathed cable

Thanks a lot kevindgas, - mother-in-law I was thinking!

Ok, thanks for saving my life. I will use a 1.0mm sheathed cable (3 core). I hope this will do?

Regards

Sponsored Links
Any major connection from mains without earthing is "STUPIDITY".For further assistance refer Fleming's right hand rule.

as made very clear, in no circumstances you should not use earth (cpc). Even for double insulated fittings that earth should not connected to them, the earth should be there terminated separately and safely.

You should take in consideration the distance to the shed to make sure that the volt drop is ont exciding 4%.

You should, as well, consider the method of passing the cable, does it have to cross a garden? etc.

of course all the above is relevant if the shed is not attached to the house.

Thanks very much guys.

The Shed is 12 feet from the house mains supply and its by the side of the house. No garden between.

Ok, I will use 1.5mm.

Thanks a lot guys.

I'd use 4mm, you can more or less guarantee once you have light, you will want to use power tools or something else & if you do not understand what Albert is saying, then please call someone who does.

Oriahig said:
Thanks very much guys.

The Shed is 12 feet from the house mains supply and its by the side of the house. No garden between. Ok, I will use 1.5mm.
Thanks a lot guys.
Do you intend to run the cable above the surface or under the ground?
There are different requirements for each option.

marketvgk said:
Any major connection from mains without earthing is "STUPIDITY".For further assistance refer Fleming's right hand rule.
You give bad advice, your website is poo and you're not allowed to display it in your signature. READ THE RULES!

Oriahig said:
I will use a 1.0mm sheathed cable

This concerns me alot.

What do you mean by 'sheathed cable'?

ALL cable has a sheath. Not all cable will be suitable for this application.

Albert said:
Do you intend to run the cable above the surface or under the ground?
There are different requirements for each option.

We need an answer to this question please.

I will use a 1.0mm sheathed cable (3 core). I hope this will do
Although theoretically 1.0mmsq is ok, I never use it, I use 1.5mmsq for lights.
If this cable is going to be pule out from your house to the shade, I would reconsider all this arrangement as it does look to me a bit risky.

I would use 16mmsq or at least 10mmsq to connect from the house, still not clear the method of running the cable.
connect it to a mini cu in the shade and than with 6A MCB, 1.5mmsq cable connect the light fittings. otherwise sooner or later you will find power sockets connected to the light supply... :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back