earthing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just out of interest can someone give me your thoughts on earthling?
I’m not a sparks but have a good knowledge of electrics, as my dad was a LEB man
When I did my rewire (some time ago) main earthling terminal from incomer to earth block then from that water main, gas main, CU then also used this block to run earth wire to bath, central heating, kitchen sink.
Also cross bonded all hot and cold water pipes under bath, sink etc
Is this all sounding ok or is there more to be done. ?
What size should the earth wire be? ?
The job has been done for some time im just interested
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
16, 10, 10, 16, 4, 4, 4.

Kitchen is not now required to be supplementary bonded.

Bathroom: All the metallic pipes that enter the bathroom must be bonded to the CPC of all the electrical circuits that enter the bathroom. They do not need to go back to the MET.

Boiler people like all the pipes around the boiler to be cross bonded and to the CPC of the boiler supply (not through a plug).

JohnD said:
16, 10, 10, 16, 4, 4, 4.

Kitchen is not now required to be supplementary bonded.

Bathroom: All the metallic pipes that enter the bathroom must be bonded to the CPC of all the electrical circuits that enter the bathroom. They do not need to go back to the MET.

Boiler people like all the pipes around the boiler to be cross bonded and to the CPC of the boiler supply (not through a plug).

Although you say that they do not need to go back to the MET, can they go back to the MET instead of all the bathroom electrical circuits if more convenient. Many thanks

Sponsored Links
No, you are supposed to connect them to CPCs of the circuits that enter the bathroom.

IIRC this is so that all the pipes and fittings in the bathroom will be at the same PD, regardless of what might be happening elsewhere in the house.

JohnD said:
No, you are supposed to connect them to CPCs of the circuits that enter the bathroom.

IIRC this is so that all the pipes and fittings in the bathroom will be at the same PD, regardless of what might be happening elsewhere in the house.

Thanks John, sorry for interupting OP

where would the best place to make this connection be.?
what about doing both.?
why not kitchens anymore.?

Bonding needs to be done at a convenient point or points and must be accesible. Sometimes the cupboard with the hot water tank adjacent to the bathroom contains all the pipes u need to bond and there's easy access to run the bonding cable up to the bathroom light cpc.

No need to do kitchens since the 16th edition of the regs came out. Bonding is required in special locations and a kitchen is no longer a special location.
Why is that? Ask the IEE.

TTC

PS I had heard that its possible that bonding in a bathroom will no longer be required when the next (17th) edition of the regs is published next year.

Which ever way the 17th goes, bonding just the bath in a bathroom to the MET is probably one of the most wrong things to do!!
Like JohnD says; Bathroom: All the metallic pipes that enter the bathroom must be bonded to the CPC of all the electrical circuits that enter the bathroom. They do not need to go back to the MET.

I am due to be given the 17th DPC next month, but from the shortform, supplementary will be out, if the draft is accepted. It will be replaced by every circuit in the bathroom being RCD-protected. Also in the draft is the inclusion of socket outlets in bathrooms (again, RCD-protected), but they will have to be (I think) a minimum of 3m from the bath, so you'd need a large bathroom to start with.

yes funny that isnt it ,you can have sockets in your bathroom but only if you live in a palace :LOL:

securespark said:
I am due to be given the 17th DPC next month, but from the shortform, supplementary will be out, if the draft is accepted. It will be replaced by every circuit in the bathroom being RCD-protected.

I'm about to have my CU replaced to allow PME for my property. Would having a 100mA RCD as the main incomer then cover this new requirement or is it going to have to be individual 30mA RCD's ?

I'm just asking because I suddenly feel the money I'm about to pay out for the new CU could be a complete waste if I then have to have any changes done in the bathroom down the line.

Thats a different subject, suggest u delete and start a new thread otherwise we (certainly I )cant cope.

TTC

AlienBiker said:
I'm about to have my CU replaced to allow PME for my property. Would having a 100mA RCD as the main incomer then cover this new requirement or is it going to have to be individual 30mA RCD's ?

No, the 17th states the RCD's rated current should not exceed 30mA.

Anyway, you don't need a 100mA RCD with a PME supply. A standard split load board with 30mA RCD is fine, and since we are still on the 16th edition until the 17th is issued ( supposed to be early 2008 ) you still need supp. bonding.

Forum Rules said:
20 ) Do not hi-jack posts

(Hi jacking, is adding your question to a post you did not start, it causes confusion)

Do not concern yourself with the 17th edition. It is still a draft document, and does not come into force for a while yet. All work must be carried out to the current standards (16th edition). Work carried out to this standard is safe, and will not need automatically updating just because a new set of regs have been introduced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back